Catamaran ideas.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by HCB66, Jul 9, 2018.

1. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I've been watching videos on catamarans. What about a catamaran built in three pieces that could be taken apart for transport over land to be stored etc. A smaller catamaran with a bolt on cockpit section could be taken apart and placed on a much smaller trailer for transport. Given the price of slips a boat like this could be an advantage.
    Also, from what I've seen boats in general tend to have their equipment in cramped compartments. I'm wondering about a basic boat with more accessaible equipment. Less trim and vinyl everywhere for one thing. Save that for the cabin , up on deck etc. It seems like a lot of this stuff is strictly for aesthetics and you end up paying for it when you need to fix something.

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Tons of threads all about that.

| Scrolldown at the "similar threads" widget.
    |
    V

3. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

Don't see anything there about a catamaran that can be taken apart or anything about design for ease of maintenance. What are you seeing?

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am building one.

32' long

Beams weigh about 110# each.

Two hulls
    Four beams
    Cockpit sections
    Cabin

A few more than 3 pieces.

5. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I'd be interested in reading about your project if you've posted anything about it. Any videos as well.

6. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

If you dig down into those threads most talk about how/if to make the hulls separable etc. amongst general "catiness". Esp. the Wharrams. Beware, its about a years worth of reading and link following...

7. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

True, best to just start a thread specific to the topic.

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

At the bottom of the linked page is a study plan.

Richard also has two folding powercat plans; 20' and 24'.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am about to build the beam sockets to link the hulls if my hip cooperates a bit.

11. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Derek Kelsall has a whole collection of trailerable catamaran designs. His Amkat designs have hulls that fold under the bridge deck, and can have wheels mounted in the hulls so the hull becomes its own trailer. When the hulls are deployed, the wheels become build in fenders.

12. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I also have a number of trailable/transportable catamaran designs both power and sail. From 18ft to 45ft. We had one of my 25ft Merlin designs for some years. Trailable of course. When cruising we fitted a small central cuddy with a double bunk. When racing we took the cuddy off and we used it as an open deck boat. The cuddy went on the back of our pickup truck and we slept in that.

Some of my designs fold the hulls under, some are easily trailable, some are transportable, so you can build away from the water and assemble before launching. My first catamaran design was launched in 1980. I had two sets of beams, a narrow set for launching as I had to get the boat though a narrow lock gate. Then a wide set fitted once afloat (a bit tricky to change beams but we managed it)

We startled fellow competitors at the 1992 European championships by unfolding our 22ft Wizard catamaran and wheeling it down the slipway on its built in wheels. 22ft, 5 berth, 3 cabins, standing headroom, proven 15+knot boat speed, proper galley with oven, separate toilet etc

See more here www.sailingcatamarans.com

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

fallguy likes this.
  13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You might want to have a look at Cat2Fold the prototype is for sale at a very reasonable price. Kurt Hughes also put together some ideas for a smaller folding mechanism for a 30' version.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  14. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

If it's arthritis I've been trying something close to this. It seems to be knocking down my allergies and asthma quite a bit.

15. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I need hip relacements.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.