Catamaran Hull Construction Questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by useragentseven, May 11, 2018.

1. useragentseven

useragentseven Junior Member

What exactly is an "SOR"? And what details does it include? Does anyone know of a sample "SOR" I may review?

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you saying you can do all the structural design in 8 hours for $400?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Statement
    Of
    Requiremnets

S.O.R.

It is a list of objectives/things/ideas/wishes/wants.....that the design of the must is to satisfy.

In simple terms, think of going into a car show room. You haven't a clue what you want, so the salesman gives you several different brochures of various types of car. Each brochure has list of what THAT car can do...such as 0 - 100kmh, fuel consumption size of boot, number of seats, range etc etc. However, before THAT car was ever built, what is THAT design of car to be, what size speed etc. the designer and builders doesn't know. So a list of items are made that become the SOR...so, this list of items in the brochure was the SOR. So, THAT car must then once it is built satisfy the list of items in the brochure.

Make sense?

With the car designer knowing what THAT car should achieve, in terms of speed, fuel size, final cost etc etc, so it is easy, the designer can now design the car to satisfy this list...but without this list what are you designing....thin air? All designs need a target, something to achieve or aim for. It is called the SOR.

6. useragentseven

useragentseven Junior Member

Awesome! Thank you, AdHoc. Just the description I was looking for.

7. rxcomposite

Did I say that? Read what I said.

8. rxcomposite

I am slow. I remember in one thread (as posted by Tansl above), AdHoc said he can do it in less than one hour, by hand calculation. All others calculations are just....(air? tidbits?). Others pitched in and have more or less the same speed as I am. But AH is not quoting for a 1 hour job, nor am I.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Indeed...and much less too, when in ally. Just around 5-10mins.

BUT..and this what I think everyone is misunderstanding - owing to ignorance most likely - is that whilst it may take me just a few mins (I can't speak for others) to do these sums and a back of a fag packet sketch, it takes significantly longer to draw up into a midship section and then into a deck and profiles typical frames and the endless details required for production. That's where the hours go...

Design - is just that that, number crunching. Dwgs for build - is a totally different proposition.

10. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

That is a very different boat. I look forward to seeing the SOR and in particular why the hulls are so wide, the rigs so small and why they are on the hull ends.

Once you have the SOR and your payload, we (www.etamax.com.au) would be interested in quoting for the engineering and laminate design.

rob