Catamaran hull alignment

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rturbett, Nov 20, 2022.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

What is everyone's favorite way to ensure hulls are perfectly aligned when dropping the beams in place?

Looking for any simple tricks or techniques- mine is a combination of a rigid guide to fit into the daggerboard slots, and plumb lines to ensure vertical. I have tried using a laser level, with some success.

Thanks
    Rob

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Water level, tape measure. And the rest was just the shears being on a plane Then check the bows. If the thing is built without twist, or whatever, the shears should work. But the only cat I built was a 16 foot power boat. :)

Important to look at it. If it looks good, the builder should have a better eye than passers by. There was this nice house on our road, that had a fancy carport with a chandelier type light. It was totally obvious that the plumb of the light indicated the whole house was on a slope. Whether that was really the case would be hard to tell without a plumb bob, to check. But things should pass the passer by test. But presumably we are way past that in this case.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Laser level, tape measures, lotsa checks.

Mark the waterline, then you have multiple places to check hull to hull..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.