Catamaran Evolution

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by JCD, Nov 18, 2007.

?

Which design warrants further development if the design were for you?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2007.
  1. CR33

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. RC34

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SR34

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. All

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. None, I like a specific design as is.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Phil, putting up a conservative amount of sail, having a well designed boat, and all the other stuff said over & over here and everywhere, be sensible.... Not just cats. Include motor bikes, snow & water skis, planes of all types, cars, trucks, especially 4x4's, all fall over more regularly than cats & they do not need a wave to do it!!!!!! (unless the "operator" is waving at some pretty chickey-babes:D) - even the odd house has been known to fall over... (Frosty will know, he lives near a boat-club and can see that - drunks are known to fall over regularly)

Place your bets (insurance), I feel better in a cat...

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Phil,

Safety features designed and built into catamarans should also include having buoyancy foam filled compartments running the full length of the hulls underneath the cabin soles to create double bottoms. In addition, the beam should be at least half of overall length e.g. 60' catamarans should have a centre line beam of 30' minimum. The bridgedeck salon should be modeled along the the lines of Gunboat 62.

http://www.deltayachtsbrokerage.com/images/Gunboat/03.jpg

Were such a design to capsize, the hulls would be protruding about 8 feet from the water and would provide shelter for the inflated life raft, which could sit between the two hulls.

Pericles

3. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Hello Phil...thanks for chiming in. I have been doing more reading on it and it seems that it may not be worth it. Well...at least not for the larger multis. What happened with the results from that guy Ruiz?

Ahem...I think my design has all the safety concerns covered as stated above and probably some more like dedicated foam flotation under the sole and, take a good look at my hulls...the upside down lightbulb will float high!!! I attribute all these "specialized design features" to paranoia instead of dementia. I love my Green Lantern!:D

I will definitely look up the book.

Thanks
    J:cool:

4. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Hello Masalai...

I will take my chill pills but don't particularly think that messing about on an inverted vessel will help me enjoy sh*t or be very pleasurable.

See...when something goes "bump" in the middle of the night...I'm the guy that jumps out of his bunk like a lunatic with a light in his hand and turns on the automatic pumps before being fully awake while shouting orders to everyone to don the jackets and prepare to abandon ship . My sh*t is automatic and I got it all worked out in my head and put into execution long before I'm fully conscious.

My wife keeps telling to stop doing that while we are still tied to the dock and all I say is that I heard something go "bump", then I make everybody do a thorough safety check and depending on whether it is 2am or 4am, I make everybody do an abandon ship drill. If it's after 5am, some poor soul is going into the water to be the recipient of a man overboard recovery. They love me!

5. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

J, you would have a hard time getting me to abandon ship at 7am....5am forget it :D

I thought you might be abandoning your cat in favour of a tri. I'm glad you still like the Green Lantern. I think tris are not worth the expense.

6. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Hello Richard...glad to see you jumping in here.:D

You are probably right...I may have a hard time, but you will abandon ship. Trust me.

Me? Abandon my Green Lantern? PPPPffffff...you forgot to invite me to the peyote party.

I like Trimarans. I especially like the open wings with those radiused beams. They look sci-fi like and it would not take much for me to get lost in space with one of them.:D I have always been weird like that when it comes down to "nautical" aesthetics. I like the different. Proas!

I only put up the doodle just to see how the GL would look and what kind of reaction the community would have...but noone said anything so it must have been an unfavorable allergic reaction. I should explore it further as it seems that I lose "cubic area", but gain space compared to the tight hulls. Did that make sense? As already pointed out, they are more forgiving, faster, and heel a little bit to give you an eye on the ama to see if she is being pressed to hard.

7. Richard Atkin

I like the centralised deck space of a cat, as opposed to the segregated effect of a tri...but each to their own. I think there is little practical difference in performance between a cat and a tri.

Are you just doodling for fun? or are you thinking/dreaming of marketing the whole Green Lantern multihull range? :D I would love to see that (not being sarcastic).

Just curious...where is Coney?

8. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Dammmnnnn....
    What a great idea. The Green Lantern:

Cats, Tris, Proas...then, beachboats, tenders, cruisers, racers...might even throw in a nice monohull in there too! Shoot...might as well spend the rest of my life learning and design a hovercraft, WIG or even a submarine. A little more learning and before you know it, we can have a whole line of personal aircraft and a possible shuttle.

On second thought... it may be a good idea to just stick to the Cat, maybe a Tri and Proa?:confused:

I tell you what...if it is ever considered it will be the current hull modified instead of a new design!

Coney is short for Coney Island in Brooklyn (Kings County) NY, USA.

9. Richard Atkin

LOL!! :D:D you got me laughing!

Wow, Brooklyn...that's interesting. You must sound like Fred Flintstone....

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Richard, look at recent posts in "Drivel..." and check alternative meanings to "LOL" - so which one do you mean? "Leather or Lash"?

11. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I can say with considerable confidence that a Farrier F9/C31 trimaran floats inverted in a perfectly level attitude with not much more than the ama decks submerged. It is mainly the cabin and topsides structure, plus the beams, that support the boat. The water level on the tramp is about calf deep. The motion in a seaway is quite gentle, however the washing-machine action inside the cabin will flush out every unsecured item in short order. I also have it on good report that the fluctuation in air pressure inside the hull due to wave action is intolerable on the ears for long term habitation inside. One can mount the main hull by stepping on the beam strut attachment points.

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Off Topic

Richard,

If you get the chance, could you post pictures of 136, Dixon Street. I lived there from 1949-53. I remember a cast iron fire escape outside. It was a wooden building behind the Dixon Street flats. I bear the mark of those open riser steps on my shins to this day as the steps were always slippery and my feet slipped as I ran up them, so bringing my shins into painful contact with the next step up. My shin bones have horizontal ridges under the skin. :( :(

Regards,

Perry

13. Richard Atkin

Hi Perry, yeah sure, I'll do that.

14. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Hello all...

I want to thank everyone for contributing thus far. I am almost home from business (work) and pleasure (vacation) and will begin the next phase of the plan for the thread...the model construction of the Green Lantern.

I am currently exploring (the first mate suggested a smaller Green Lantern) the possibility of designing a Category A or B catamaran that is trailerable so please be patient since I will now be in two threads doing two different things, but please contribute to that thread also as I have always appreciated and respected your thoughts and opinions. Yes Yipster...I remember you telling me that I had to do it again and I said no...sooo...for the second time in this group...I was wrong and I announce it publicly.:D

The thread is here:http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21565

This thread will continue for the model construction and eventually the CAD plans instead of starting a new thread, so continue to contribute. Hopefully I can generate a basic construction and design manual.

Thanks

15. yipster

yipster designer

hey JDC, tell you ohnest, the drawing i'm making now i'm doing again and again also
    a chinese artist had an order to draw a peacock or something
    when after weeks client came to see he drew it up in 5 minutes and asked 100.-
    when client said that was easy money, artist reply'd "took me weeks of exercise"
    well something like that, keep going :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.