catamaran building schools?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by kagmur16, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kagmur16

kagmur16 New Member

Hi,

I am interested in learning to build and/or design sailing catamarans. Does anyone know of a good school where they focus on catamaran building or of a general yaht building school where they also teach you how to build sailing catamarans? Thanks - Kate

2. rob kirk

rob kirk New Member

dear kate

in my brief but indepth research on how to buid a cat . has led me to beleave that most of your major builders & designers are in newzeland & australia i am searching
    very hard to find someone here in the states but no luck if you by chance find anything that might be of intrest please reply the following are 2 design companys
    that i am working with in newzeland i am going to build a 60ft power cat & thay both are very helpful www.nzboatbuilders.com also "kelsall catamarans
    email brian kelsall @ kelsall . com very nice guy either of these guys could possibly
    help

take care
    rob

3. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Catamaran Builder in USA

Hi Rob,
    If you are looking for someone to build you a cat here in the US, you should call Gils Catamarans in Costa Mesa, CA. They have been at it longer than anyone. They have built every kind of multihull under the sun. Gil and Wayne Iwamoto are the kindest people as well.

And Kate, you should call them too. They are not a school, but very giving with there knowledge. And if you wanted to learn, they could let you hang around and get some good hands on experience. Otherwise, there are some school like the Landing School, Westlawn, and others that will give you a more general education in yacht design and building, which could (will) be very useful as you gain experiences in the professional world. Most importantly, pick a small, simple design, find a work space and build yourself a catamaran! That experience alone will be the most impressionable. Just start small... there are some great designs out there for someone in your shoes. Hey folks, any suggestions....?

I just realized that you are in NY. If you are near Long Island, I can direct you to a couple of projects in the area.

4. dimovi-27

dimovi-27 New Member

I would like to build som speed boat max 5m long.I have not any idea about boat building proces costs.Would you so kind to give me som information about aproximally costs that I can expected.I am ship eng. and now I living in St. Gomingo D.R.

5. nero

nero Senior Member

Y'all are welcome to come spend some time helping me strip plank my hulls this summer. Free room and board! Lots of epoxy to mix also. smile

6. dimovi-27

dimovi-27 New Member

7. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Building 25' catamarans

We are building a 25' catamaran in Long Island, NY if anyone is interested in helping out... just cut the first frames today!

8. Grantman

Grantman Junior Member

Gil and Wayne Iwamoto

Gil and Wayne are the best. If you could, you'd be hard pressed to find better teachers and nicer people.

But I tried calling the shop this week and the number is disconnected. Have they finally closed the shop in Costa Mesa?

9. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Grantman,
    Yes, Wayne is shutting things down.... :( But, they are still there at the yard, if you want to stop by. I believe they are building one more big boat, possibly, then have a couple of smaller projects that Wayne is into, along with producing outrigger canoes for the paddling clubs.
    If there is something pressing, you can email me at <fhrussell@yahoo.com> and I can have Wayne contact you... we are in touch regularly.

10. Ysmwddia Aelod

Ysmwddia Aelod New Member

Favorite cat kits

Does anyone have a fovorite cat kit dealer and why?
    I am pertty novice to boat building ands want to build a good seaworthy cat to liveaboard here is the catch / cheap.
    Now without laughing does anyone have any info or a favorite kit designer.
    Any experience I can pick at will help

11. nero

nero Senior Member

Cheap and fast will mean stich and glue or a Kurt Hughes design. Also there is http://www.ikarus342000.com/ with low-priced plans. Or maybe one of Rob Denney's Proas?

12. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Cheap, fast and simple build, seaworthy, and for live-aboard ability...Wharram. Do you have a general idea of your budget? To build a boat with the intent to live-aboard will cost quite a bit. Although, you can install systems and gear after you've built the hulls and bridge-deck and have moved aboard. I knew of a 55' CSK cat that was built over the years, launched early on, lived-aboard by about 3 different owners, and never received a rig, rudders, engine,..... just a big floating moored home! That is about the least expensive way to go for your peice of prime waterfront property!

Also, if your budget permits.. the new Fusion 40 kits look nice. But I'm not sure of their over-all cost.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.