Symmetrical v's asymmetrical

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Sailcy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

Speaking about the displacement powercats.
    Could anyone help me to understand the principles please.
    Symmetrical hulls have the ability to carry more weight and obviously required more HP. At the same time asymmetrical are more economical to operate, but limiting themselves with the payload. Am I correct?

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I believe the design is supposed to help in reducing heel, or heeled performance too. But this a great question for some of our experts to discuss.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Sneezing

Note that he said powercats rather than sailing cats.

In general there are not to many pluses for recommending asymmetric hulls as they definitely can limit the load carrying aspects of already challenged long slender hulls of catamarans.

But one factor can recommend them,...the flow between the two hulls of powercats can experience what has been termed 'sneezing'. if the two hulls are too closely spaced, or too 'full' in their bows the waves/water forced down the restriction between the two hulls wants to 'sneeze' back forward, and likely up over the bows,...can make for a wet ride.

You might also have a look here:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/center-nacelles-wave-pounding-cats-19139-2.html

4. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Richard Woods uses asymmetrical hulls for small dayboats motor cats to decrease hull interaction drag and symmetrical for higher length live aboard to increase load carrying capacity. He explain this in his blog. It seems small racer motor cats uses assymetrical too.

5. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

Thanks to all to making it all more clear to me!
    Actually, what I am trying to figure out is advantages in symmetr. vs asymmetry hull design (again speaking particularly about displacement powercats) giving the boat same length, width, weight and HP what difference in performance is expected?

6. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Likely, the difference in performance should be littlle. the wave making resistance of individual hulls depends mainly on displacement length ratio and so should be the roughly the same. If the hulls center separation and the bridgedeck clearance are high enough the interference drag should be very near. Only the beam and the wetted area of each asymmetrical hull should be higher (for the same displacement) than the symmetrical one (assuming semi circular sections under the waterline level), and according the friction drag of the asymmetrical somewhat higher. So I think symmetrical is likely a little more performant, but I may be wrong !

7. JSL

JSL Senior Member

oops- I meant what size of cat are you looking at?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The main reason I can see that might make asymmetric attractive, is if it was required to restrict the beam somewhat, and the interference drag would be too high with symmetrical demi-hulls.

9. Sailcy

Sailcy Junior Member

what side of cat are you looking at?
    Sorry, probably there is a typing error. If you mean SIZE, it's about 30 ft

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.