catamaran and trimaran hull form

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by samh, Mar 8, 2005.

1. samh

samh Junior Member

Can someone provide me with a starting place for designing catamaran and trimaran hulls as far as Cp and LCB? Also the displacement distribution in a trimaran between the amas and vaka (? I think I have the terminology right for the main hull and the floats.)

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

For the tri, it looks like ama size is usually 100-200% of total boat displacement. The main hull of course would be bigger and designed for low wetted surface, planing, cabin space, and other considerations. If you're also asking about actual displacement when in the water, the bottoms of the amas usually sit right at the surface when the boat is dead level, taking zero displacement.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

tri or cat

There can be important considerations based on the size of your boat and the intended use; can you fill in a little more info?

4. samh

samh Junior Member

general coefficients of form

I think Larson and Elliason give .54 as a reasonable, general starting Cp for a monohull. I was wondering if there is a same sort of target for catamarans and trimarans? Same with the multihull equivalent of a monohull's lcb of .535.

S

5. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I think Cp is usually higher for a multi than a mono, for both better pitch stability and higher speeds. John Teale has for a mono,
    V/L ........ Cp
    1.15 ...... .55
    1.25 ...... .6
    1.5 ........ .65
    A cat especially should be higher Cp for the same V/L.

6. samh

samh Junior Member

7. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Thanks for that link, it's a good summary. Brewer's book is nice. It really gives you a feel for hull shape, and you don't have to be an expert to read it.

8. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Longitudonal stability is an important concern for multihulls, consider as the apparent wind angle increases, the trimming moment produced from the rig will start to approach the heeling moment in magnitude, if the trimming moment exceeds the heeling moment to early the boat will be suseptible of pitchpole. For trimarans, by placing the LCB of the ama forward of the LCG, trimming moment can be balanced. To figure how far forward; choose the crit AWA and AWS, find the trimming moment divide that by the sailing displacement, the result is the distance forward the LCB should be from the LCG ( at the chosen AWA,AWS ). Any hydrodynamic lift generated fwd of the LCG, from canted foils or bottom shape for example would reduce the distance. So basically it is a ballancing act. For your hull shape just make them as long and narrow you can for your displacement, choose a sectional shape with minimum wetted surface, and include plenty of reserve bouyancy so you dont bury the leeward bow. For more info check out Design of a 40 foot Multihull for Offshore Racing by James Antrim availible thru SNAME.

9. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

Cats and Tris

I have alot of experience with both having over 50,000 ocean mile on them.

If a beginer designer makes mistake with design of a monohull it may not be a good boat but if you make mistakes with mulltihulls they will bite you bad.

I don't want to put you off your project. I have participated in the design of a number of mulltihulls and I have built some. it was great rewarding fun.

Be warned that monohulls have nothing in coimmon with mullties. So done use the ratios from one to help design the other it is apples and oranges.

The cp for the average mullti is .60 to .65
    mullti's don't suffer in light wind the way monos do with high cp.

On a tri the float should be at 150% or higher with its center of boyancy around 12 1/2% forward of the center of B for for the main hull which is commonly around 56% aft.

Good luck with your project, I love mulltihulls But be warned that if you screw them up they will bite you.

Ron
    P.S. Is there aspell checker in this posting system?

10. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

Hi,

Interesting to hear the numbers... wasn't sure how they'd compare... I'm workin' on a powercat right now with a Cp of 0.63... Lucky I guess...

What do you mean when you say:

?

Cheers,

Dave

11. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

tri float 150%

The float on a tri should be designed to carry 150 % or higher of the total crafts displacement without putting the deck under. The shape of the float on a cruising tri shuold be more v;d then on a racer. The reason is for motion comfort and less pounding which can rattle the the boat inclulding your teeth.

Ron

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.