Catamaran 50' to 60' builder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by catbuyer, Aug 7, 2015.

1. catbuyer

catbuyer New Member

Hi All

Not sure if thisis the right place to ask this but I have done some drawings on a design of a catamaran and I would like to speak with an person who can guide me to making the measurement

eg displacement ,weight , draft and so on the internal design is all done by me .. and i have also made the how wide it shall me and so ... for the cockpit and Saloon and have a good idea on how wide the hulls are going to be

2. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

So you have an interior layout that you have thought a great deal over and you want a naval architect to design a boat around it? Do you have a budget?

3. catbuyer

catbuyer New Member

Yes I have a total budget for the boat which I hope will hope but based on production cats and also some semi customer boats

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Cat buyer, there are several qualified NAs who are members here.

Before you talk to one or more of them you will need to make a statement of requirements (SOR). Is the boat to be a sailboat, Power boat, will it be mostly a marina queen or will it be a Transpac Racer or something in between? A 50 to 60 foot boat is a major undertaking. Make a list of the equipment or gear that you want, such as AC, refrigeration, freezer, genset, water maker, how many berths, nav gear, expected cruising range, what size and type of dinghy, and more. How fast do you want to go, how many crew, budget, and anything else that might pertain to the finished boat.

Only then can you know whether one requirement is compatible with some other requirement. You will have to make informed decisions about the priorities. That is why you engage a professional NA to guide you through all these things. A 50 to 60 foot boat is a major undertaking.

When building a house, an interior layout is designed and then walls and roof are wrapped around it. Just the opposite with boats. The boat is designed to move through the water and the shape and sizes of the walls are far more important to safe and efficient operation than they would be with a house.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.