Catalina 250 WK vs. Catalina 270 WK

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Tres Cool, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Tres Cool

Tres Cool Junior Member

I was hoping you could offer some advice. I'm deciding on purchasing either a Catalina 250 Wing Keel or a Catalina 270 Wing Keel.

I would slip it in Tullytown, Bucks County. The river extremely wide in this area. Maybe about 1/2 mile or so.

I like the 25 for its simple style and manageability (i.e. fun, light, etc.). I like the 270 for its spaciousness and other cabin features.

Would the 270 be too much of a boat to have this far up river to enjoy on a regular basis? I plan to do maybe 1x a year maybe to the Chesapeake Bay.

Is the 270 a "fun" boat to just cruise around or more of a serious cruiser? I like both boats but am trying to figure out if the 270 is too much for a regular day cruise on the Delaware plus maybe a few further trips.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Jim

2. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Tres just keep in mind that a wing keel is extremely hard to get unstuck should you ground the boat to the bottom. Shallows and sand bars are quite common on the river systems.

3. Tres Cool

Tres Cool Junior Member

So, you are saying it wouldn't matter as much as 25 or 27 but more that they are wing keels?

4. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

I would say that either boat is okay as far as sailing. If you intend on overnighting the 27 is a far better choice. If you intend on day sailing the 25 is a better choice.

Wing keels are really a fad in my honest opinion. They are not bad until you ground them and then they are very hard to get unstuck. There are many boats out there right now without wing keels. Try looking for a shoal draft keel or a centerboard model.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.