Cat rudder design help

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Elliot DeYoung, May 15, 2019.

1. Elliot DeYoung

Elliot DeYoung New Member

Hello, I just purchased a project C/S/K Polycon 37' cat and need to make new rudders (old ones are gone but I have paper tracing of originals). Beam is 17' and I plan on keeping the original transom hung, tiller with crossbar design.

I still have the SS hardware which is in good shape. I would ideally like a higher aspect ratio and kick up rudders. Originals seem big in relation to the boat size, thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on the best way to go about designing these? Any stock kick up rudders from a monohull or other cat that could work to save build time/cost? Farrier has awesome ones but at 4800 each, thats out.

Here are some pics of the originals with paper tracing and measurements.

Any input is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. SolGato

SolGato Senior Member

Maybe check out newrudders dot com to see what production style rudders are available aftermarket that might work and be adaptable to your boat

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.