Hull Windiness VS Sailing Area

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, May 15, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have a question regarding sailing area on a storm sail (jib) as to the windiness of a hull. Using a large main sail, the relative small windy surface area of a hull has a lesser effect on propelling the boat.

I'm thinking a small storm jib, just big enough to overcome the wind drag of the hulls, so instead of being blowed away, the small jib may compensate kind of as a counter force and limit or ideally oppose the effects in a high wind.

The idea would be to remain roughly in one place, instead of heaving to while cruising slowly or running on a drogue or sea anchor. With an auto tacker one can then weave while maintaining position.

Would this make any sense ?

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Anyone wants to risk an opinion on this ?

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

OK. I'll be the sucker on this one.

I think you are just re-inventing the wheel.

On the last and biggest of my trimarans I arranged the pivotting centreboard so that it could be locked more forward than it's normal fully down position.

This ensured that the boat could not accidently fall onto the other tack.

Sheeting the sails in so they did not flog and lashing the tiller to one side enabled the boat to gently sail around the same spot for as long as necessary. It was a great way to sit right on the best spot at the start line of a race. Lol.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Would the same thing work in a strong wind ?

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

LOL. :D

That was in a strong wind. :cool:

Since our starts were usually fairly close in shore, the water was rarely very rough.
    You wouldn't want to heave to in really rough breaking seas, but that works well in smooth swells.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.