Cat motorsailer where does the money go

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by charlesakeem, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

charlesakeem-

I read a few of your threads and they do scream enthusiasm.

However there are no miraculous shortcuts. 60-70 foot catamaran is not something you are going to whip up with scavenged parts and few buddies helping. I don't mean to be rude in any sense but I do think that learning more and setting somewhat more realistic dreams will be more fruitful in the end.

Pick a book or two of boat design and the principles behind it will help you understand the basic parameters. It will not make you a designer but it will help you in deciding on what kind of boat you really want.

Besides that - build a dinghy - it will cost you 1000-2000 with quality materials and you will get enormous boost in understanding what you are dreaming about.

Do you have sailing experience? Cruising experience? If you do you'll know that pretty minimalistic design is pretty on italian yacht magazine but not so comfy when you are bumping around in the open floor plan hitting the hard corners.

Do a search on books - there has been quite a few (my favourites: Gerr: Nature of boats, Herreschoff: Sailboats and few Uffa Fox books)
    Reading these you'll realize that you do not need (or want) 2 x 200 (or 300) hp engines on a cruising boat. All you would do is make more waves and eat gasoline like nuts without any real speed advantage on a displacement hull.

Or you'll have a planing hull - in which case 2 x300 hp is not nearly enough (on a 60ft boat) and it wouldn't really be a cruising boat.

It is good to think out of the box and think of new ways (cheaper) of doing things - however if it was easy someone would be doing it already. You have to learn the rules before you can break them in an educated way.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Ooooh did I booboo I was thinking 30-35 ft for the outboards..... Just went as rabid without reading - sorry there....

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Kit Cat

Hi charlesakeem

Why don't you downgrade your entry size and monies and go with a kit project like this?

http://www.kit-cats.com/

4. charlesakeem

charlesakeem Junior Member

Downgrade

As said earlier in previous threads
    I plan on doing this years from now. these are just things to take my education and research in the right direction.

So to get more experience before the big plunge. I plan on doing these things
    Building another kayak only this time salvaging or manufacturing everything on where even unreasonably possible. ( if its metal i'll at least try my hand at casting or manufacturing it, but i somehow dont see me as being able to weave glass)

Moving on from there to building a one person junk rigged trimaran

Finishing of with maybe a small day sailer trimaran (hopefully tri junk rigged)

After i get finished with my AIT and am back in college.
    I plan on taking more manufacturing courses
    and a course on aerospace design since thats the closest I'm aware of my college having.

Thanks for all who have commented on my threads you've been great and kinder than deserve
    Anything else you guys might suggest i add to my education

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

The junk rig has much to offer on a cruising boat.

Easy reefing.
    Safe.
    You can make much of it ( if nor all of it ) yourself ,and save a bundle.
    Etc ......

However , think about this ;

1. A " one person " trimaran suggests a compact ,light weight craft.
    The usual reason for building a tri , particularly a small one , is high
    performance.

2. If the tri is not light weight , it will not give that expected high
    performance. It will be a bit of a pig to sail.

3. O K , So you build to a good light design .Such a boat should have little
    trouble accelerating fast enough to draw the apparent wind far enough
    forward to necessitate a relatively stable , high performance rig ,
    particularly one that holds optimum shape.

4. Enter the junk rig: A relatively HEAVY rig , placed on a light high
    performance boat. I believe you would be disappointed in the outcome.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.