Cat motorsailer where does the money go

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by charlesakeem, Sep 28, 2008.

1. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Sorry Charles don`t know of any multihull plans myself....

You would have to look at traditional craft from polynesia maybe...
    Ken may know of something ? I cannot advise you there.:confused:

If you go that route however , you are likely to increase weight , and you will certainly spend more time and money on maintaining your craft.

A case of save a little up front , pay in time and money later ...you must decide.

2. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Yes , quite right Ken. Rudder and steering required either way.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Building with ply is quick and relatively easy and can produce a great looking boat. We're talking marine ply here not the house stuff. Although it costs some it's cheaper than milled cedar. If you are prepared to cut the tree(s) and all the rest and have the equipment then the cedar is free. Just make sure it's the right kind ...

4. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful Boats ! Charles are you watching ....? :D

5. charlesakeem

charlesakeem Junior Member

bah humbug

beautiful under paint as far as I'm concerned, bulkhead sure, but my entire blasted hull i think not good sir

6. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

What are you talking about ." not good " ?

Whats " not good " about a sealed ply hull ??????

With epoxy its simply no longer an issue.

Like I said before there are a lot of boats out there...30 + years old and looking like new ..
    And they will outlive you if they get maintained .

The reason a stripper hull in cedar can last is because of the epoxy and glass.Take that away and let the water in , then see how long your hull will last .Especially in the tropics.....

bah humbug indeed .......

7. charlesakeem

Punctuation is a hell of a thing

but my entire blasted hull i think not, good sir.
    Truly thanks for all the advice it has given me much food for thought.
    Also does anyone know about the suitability of using rv holding and fuel tanks in a boat.

8. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

if you dont like ply build it out of 4mm alloy
    sean

1 person likes this.
  9. charlesakeem

twin 1989 300 hp evinrudes
    I wonder what the effect would be to drop these babies in.
    Or would the weight still be detrimental

10. masalai

masalai masalai

What in the name of stupidity are you trying to achieve? - - - - and where are you planning to go (local rivers & small lakes - - or - - offshore and long distance cruising?) - - - define that, then we may be able to give some direction.... also how much building money and then running monet...

11. charlesakeem

"In the name of stupidity," thanks for that mas i'm thinking i found a new war cry.
    But i am trying to achieve a boat with shallow draft headroom room for my height and a high average cruising speeds.
    able to comfortably berth 4-6 people, 8-10 for short spaces of time (stuff em like sardines i say)
    To be able to travel across oceans safely first.
    currently can see 2grand a month coming in during tis retirement.
    How much money would i need to build this dream

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Well my little dream-boat will be around AU$300,000.00 (give or take a LOT) and will be used mainly in fairly sheltered waters (behind the Great Barrier Reef - or close to finding the lee of the islands around southern PNG, Solomon Islands & Vanuatu) - I do not intend to ever take the direct across "the ditch" short-cut.... The boat is light (under 5000kg loaded) and has a fairly strong bum to be able to sit on the hard when the tide goes out or glide up to a nearby beach.... I will probably sail in low double digits in fair breezes but motor at under 8 knots running on diesel sometimes but mostly Coconut Oil which is easier to get - I do not like petrol for cruising as it has a propensity to go BANG and requires careful application of exhaust fans to ensure no petrol vapor is accumulating in the hulls from leaks - - which WILL HAPPEN then think of the fuel load - 2 x 200hp outboards are VERY thirsty and any range will require regular access to fuel marinas.... Nuts to that.... I will have one CI engine that delivers 8000 watts of power and needs just the smell of an oily rag for that....

Click on the link below to see the summary of the 39'C

13. charlesakeem

Fuel economy

Your right let my youth get the better of me for a few seconds.
    Need to think long term but just for theory's sake what do you think those engines would do on a cat like your little piece
    Cruising speed and GPH etc

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Hey Charlesakeem, Your posting similar data in 2 catagories. Pick one and stay with it.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

go too bloody fast to enjoy the voyage (with a correctly shaped bum would be giving the skippers piles sufficient incentive to splatter his shoes and around 30 to 40 knots for about 100 miles till you hit a short steep wave and went looking for the bottom -ground) and wont get you far....

I think Frostys boat is around 43 ft and weighs 12 tonnes (2.5 times mine) and does 23 - 27 knots but apart from slipping for bum cleans etc has not done any travelling for near on 2 years... WTF may as well have a pontoon houseboat? :D:D:D:D:D:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.