Cat mooring - cleats size and position

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by YoungGrumpy, Jun 21, 2013.

1. YoungGrumpy

YoungGrumpy Junior Member

For Seawind 24 that I am trying to fix/sail this summer, some of the pics I see online are with the mooring cleats at the alum front beam. The beam is connected to the 2 big deck bolts.
    What would be a better way to attach the mooring lines for this boat?
    It is 24x16 catamaran, around 1000 kg loaded, the mooring field is fairly open, so some waves, and occasional winds to be expected?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I've fitted mine behind the beam roughly on the hulls centerline & parallel to the CL, main thing is to check that the lead of your mooring bridle is nice & smooth over the beam & cant chafe on the bolts. I've got large Aluminium cleats 10-12" 'cos thats what I had handy- big is good & ply backing pads thats nicely shaped to the underside of the deck. Jeff.

3. YoungGrumpy

YoungGrumpy Junior Member

So, Jeff, you've got them on the deck only, not the beam? Do you think a pair of chokes would help with the lines positions?
    I can not see any weight or strength ratings on the cleats from Defender.com (around here it is a good place for marine stuff), so I will have to guesstimate the size, like, big enough, but not huge?

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yeah, I put my cleats aft of the beam, previously they were on the beam, the old holes were a little crusty & I like to be back from the edge of a boat when doing lines work so I moved them back, I like the way the bolts load better with them parallel to the CL. Using a bridle the lines don't move much but better to make sure the bolt/nuts don't rub. When it comes to mooring cleats & bollards big is good, you can put a small line on a big cleat but you can't put a big line on a small one. Mine are about this http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2259971|2259982|2259986&id=38358 but a squarer style, they came off a mooring pontoon. Make sure your backing pad is bigger all round... the more square inches it bears onto the better with composite, esp' an old chop strand seawind. Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.