cat hull transom height

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hayso, May 9, 2003.

1. hayso

hayso New Member

G'day Guys,

I am currently working on an amateur design for a 4.2m(14ft) cat runabout to be powered by a single Honda 4 stroke 50Hp. Similar idea to the ducks(mono hulls) used by the surf life savers and thundercats in Australia. I am chasing help with information on transom heights for a single engine installation. Mono hull and twin engine cat are straight forward with plenty of information from both manufacturers and designers available, however I cannot find anything relating to single engine installation. Are the principles of transom height the same for all designs or am I opening up a can of worms. I realise as with most boat setups there is final trimming here and there depending on real world/water performance, I'm just trying to remove the guess work on a major aspect of the design and resulting performance.

Cheers

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Outboard shaft length are standard 15", 20" and sometimes 25". That will determine transom height regardless of single twin or other multiple configuration.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.