Cat from Hobie Tandem Island amas?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Clarkey, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

I am interested in building a small rowing catamaran that is basically a one-person, car-toppable version of an Italian 'Pattino' (see photo below). These are usually built quite heavily and are designed to support 2-3 people for beach lifesaving. They tend to come out about 80-90kg.

I am aiming for a boat weight of 30kg or so to support an overall displacement of about 130-150kg. The boat will be used for solo exercise on rivers and in calm coastal conditions. One thought I have is to use Hobie Tandem Island amas (available quite cheaply as spares) for the hulls.

I know that these are just over 4m long but am not sure of their buoyancy. From what I can tell they seem to have a total (fully immersed) displacement of about 130Kg each but I would welcome comments, hopefully including from Tandem Island owners about whether they may be suitable.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.