Cat Centerboards Single vs Twin.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Zed, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Sorry for the delay in replying, but we are currently cruising in the Bahamas and sailing takes precedence over surfing the internet!

In the mid 1950's the Prout brothers tried a central daggerboard but changed it almost immediately to boards in the hulls.

The boat went faster and no performance beach cat has gone that route since.

The Stilleto started with a central daggerboard but someone tried them in the hulls and it was so much better that many people converted and the 23 and 30 had hull mounted boards

I am not sure how one can raise a board fitted with fences

A central board picks up much more weed than one in the hulls (try sailing a trimaran with boards in the outriggers - which regularly come clear of the water - to see the truth of that) and a 7deg forward rake would make it worse. And of course is much more prone to damge from flotsam than a hull mounted board. It is very difficult to make a board and case strong enough without supporting dolphin striker style wires.

A hull mounted board will come through the accommodation (if a bridgdeck cabin is fitted) or probably hit the boom when raised (if an open deck boat)

As always I agree with catsketcher. I have never had a fouling problem on my boards or cases (even rectangular ones). And I also think that a board that is to big to be easily handled is not going to be used properly. I know I have written more about single boards V twin boards elsewhere so won't repeat myself.

So in short, don't go for the central board. Put one in each hull. Then you'll have a boat that goes to windward well and tacks easily.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

2. Zed

Zed Senior Member

OK... boards through hulls it is. I have to say that the Seawind is a shocker for fouling the cases.... I am now wondering if it is the angle of the cases and the amount of light that gets into them that is the true root of the problem.

Thanks for the reply Richard!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.