Casting deck build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saltwaterfanatic, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Saltwaterfanatic

Saltwaterfanatic New Member

I am refabing my 16' aluminum fishing boat
    I took out the old steel studs used as floor Joyce they are 16 gauge which seems a little over kill
    I am going to do the deck out of marine ply 1/2" and 6oz fiberglass the studs were on 16" centers. I am trying to lighten this boat as much as possiable
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Those steel studs will pretty quickly ruin the surrounding aluminum, so it's good they're gone. Additionally they aren't designed to handle loads this way, so a poor choice in this regard as well. 16" casting deck support spacing is pretty wide, so 1/2" plywood will do, but this is a lot heavier than it needs to be. 1/4" plywood over supports spaced on 10 - 12" centers will be a fair bit lighter. Use 1x2 white spruce, Douglas fir or SYP for the supports or consider some more aluminium angle stock with stainless rivets or screws to hold it all together. If using wood, don't use PT, just good looking, straight grained, "clear" stock and epoxy encapsulate it, so it doesn't rot. Of course, aluminum solves this problem, but costs a fair bit more.

3. Saltwaterfanatic

Saltwaterfanatic New Member

What about starboard?
    How will they weigh agains plywood and fiberglass?
    Both sides of the plywood fiberglass?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Starboard is heavy and not particularly strong. It also doesn't glue or hold fasteners very well, so usually needs to be through bolted to stuff. Who ever did the deck previously had the right idea, just used the wrong size and type of materials. Place some 1x2's on 12" centers and glue down a hunk of 1/4" plywood. You can encapsulate the whole shebang if you like, including a full sheathing, but in all honesty, I'd just sheath the exterior of the deck, if only to save effort and money. If the 1/4" deck still feels a little "soft" under foot, a few longitudinal stringers over the beams will firm it up nicely, though in the size you're working with, probably unnecessary, depending on how well fed you are.

My point is keep it light, or you'll drag the bow and significantly decrease her performance envelop on a boat this size.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.