Australian Sailing School considering China Builder

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Noosa, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Noosa

Noosa New Member

Hi Boat Design mambers,
    On behalf of my Yacht Club's youthsail program I am trying to obtain a quote for manufacturing a 3.7m F/Glass Dinghy hull (and possible rigging and sails). The class is used extensivley throughout the Eastern Coast of Australia by schools, sailing schools and yacht clubs as a learn to sail class.

Not dealing in Asia before I have been reluctant to take the plunge but the cheaper I can getb them the better the price is to other schools in Australia.

Hope you can all offer some advice.0
    Regards
    Paul

2. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Hi Paul,

I've lived in Asia for 7 years and I have come to understand that in general Asians have a very different outlook on business than Westerners. Frequently they will not do what they promise unless you're there watching them every minute -- and since most Westerners won't want to do this they won't -- then they will complain about it later of course.

I think you're better off dealing with a Westerner who lives in Asia if you don't want to make frequent trips or move here yourself to oversee the production of the boats you're talking about.

By the way, how are the folks who bid on your boats going to get the molds anyways? Are you going to ship the molds to them from Australia, or do you also need them to manufacture the molds before they manufacture the boats?

3. Noosa

Noosa New Member

Hi Kengrome
    Thanks for your reply.
    We would ship the molds to the builder and possibly order 8 -10 at a time (depends how many can go in a 20' container).

Any ideas??

Kind regards
    Paul

4. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Hi Paul,

I have an idea for you, but I prefer to discuss it with you privately since commercial posts are discouraged in this forum. Feel free to click on my screen name and select "Send email to kengrome" or just visit my web site and use my own email form, thanks.

5. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Paul,

As an alternative, you may want to contact the guys doing the Weta trimaran out of New Zealand. They are having their boats built in China.

WETA MARINE

New Zealand
    Roger Kitchen | Director
    roger@wetamarine.co.nz
    +64 27 624 4237
    Chris Kitchen | Director
    chris@wetamarine.co.nz
    +64 27 6343736

Also, Bladerider Foiling Moths are manufactured in China.

Head Office: 4 Kembla Street
    Cheltenham, 3192
    Victoria, Australia
    Phone: +61 3 9585 1200
    Fax: +61 3 9585 6999
    General Enquiries: enquiries@bladerider.com.au

6. Don McCormick

Don McCormick Lost in China

Boat building in China

Hello

I am an American guy and I have been living in China for 6 years. I have been involved in water craft manufacturing since 1987.

You can contact me if you want. I know a lot about what you are asking about.

Best regards

Don McCormick

don@lostinchina.org

7. comsollc

comsollc New Member

Need for help in China

Paul,
    If you're still looking for someone on the ground in China, please contact me. We can assit you with your requirements.

Regards
    Tony Osteika/Shenzhen, China
    comsoinc@msn.com

8. jaydee

jaydee Junior Member

re

we would be very intrested in building small dingy's for export we have many years experience building boats for export here in asia and are fully experienced in building sailing dingy's as compleated boats ready to sail
    please contact me for further information and refrances

best regards
    Jay dee

9. comsollc

comsollc New Member

Boat manufacturing China

Jay Dee,

If your company has experience building/working on small/midsize and over sailboats, please contact me. I have an American sailboat/yacht company interested in seeking a partnership in China.

Regards
    Tony
    comsoinc@msn.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.