What kind of boat should I build?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Viittis, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Viittis

Viittis Junior Member

Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of a boat should I build. I'm looking for good advice from someone with experience of similar a similar project.

My boat should:

- weigh up to 150lbs
    - carry at least 250kg(550lbs 2men+gear) and run smoothly with a minn kota
    - built of glassfiber/plywood(no moldmakind, we failed at that)
    - be a good fishing boat
    - be easy to to build an maintain!

Thanks a lot in forehand!

2. Morro

Morro Junior Member

If you want your fishing boat to be stable, you probably want it to be quite wide, and then it will not "run" that great with a regular Minn Kota, they are not intended as main propulsion.

Some free simple plans from Finland: http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/#XX2

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You should consider this questions. Where and under what weather and sea/lake/river conditions will you be using your boat? Are the occupants of the boat physically fit or do they have physical limitations? Your selection of boat types depends strongly on intended use and conditions of use.

A long slender boat will perform very well with the Minn- kota. In fact a canoe would be entirely appropriate for some conditions. A shorter, wider, boat is ordinarily more stable than a long slender one. If the kind of fishing that you do, involves standing and perhaps moving around in the boat, then stability becomes a priority. In that case a boat of perhaps 4.5m x 1.4m might do alright. The boat would do well to have sufficient aft keel rise such that the transom clears the waterline under fully loaded conditions.

Tell us more about the details of use and you will get good advice from many knowledgeable people.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.