38 ft Bertram rudder size

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Harold Davis, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Harold Davis

Harold Davis New Member

I recently purchased a 1980 38ft Bertram Convertible.

On a recent trip out the starboard engine failed and I was unable to return to port and had to be towed in. The boat simply went in a circle. The port engine simply pushed the boat to starboard in a wide circle and it continued to circle.

I have contacted 3 people at Bertram but so far I can not get an answer to this problem. The rudder size is obviously incorrect at 17 inches tall by 11 inches wide.

Can anyone tell me what size and shape the rudder should be? Or where I can obtain this information?

Thanks for your assistance.

Harold Davis

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Harold,
    What makes you think the rudder size is 'obviously incorrect'? It's not uncommon for a boat with widely spaced twins to be unable to go straight on one engine. It's not good, of course, but many boats are like this. You could put on bigger rudders of course, but that would add extra drag as well and may not resolve the problem.

3. Harold Davis

Harold Davis New Member

Thanks Matt

One of the people at Bertram told me that this was a problem with this particular boat and it was corrected. He gave me a number which is stamped in the correct rudder. My boat has a different number stamped in the rudder hence my thought that the rudder is incorrect.

4. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Harold, there is a new company making the same boat, I'll dig up their name, they had tried to sell hulls on ebay. If you put me up this winter I'll personally come down and change the rudders.:D :D

5. Harold Davis

Harold Davis New Member

Thanks for your reply!

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

7. CaptainBim

CaptainBim New Member

Maybe you could rip off Dockie's rudder design as you ripped off the house ! LOL

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.