Cary 70'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gonzo, Aug 23, 2003.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is anyone familiar with the Cary 70'. I'm looking for some background on different powerplant selections and installations.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

What level of detail are you looking for Gonzo?
    I may have a boat test ot two with performance figures in my library of magazines (told my wife they'd come in handy some day!:D ) if that's any help....

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have a client buying a hull and deck with a roughed in interior. The boat was built for inboards and later semi-modified for Arneson drives. Right now it has engine beds amidships with two large holes in the transom:rolleyes: . My plan is to go with a pair of diesels in the 1000 to 1400HP each and a straight inboard configuration. My customer is not looking for all out speed. My concern was that the engines installed amidships would make the boat too heavy forward. It didn't seem like it on the eye, but I haven't done any numbers. If I can get examples of this boat it would save a lot of time and money.
    Thanks

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'll have a hunt through the mags then...though it looks like you're after some rather more detailed info than I'll be able to provide....

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Any info helps. Thanks

6. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

There are two 70' Carys for sale at yachtworld.com. One of them has pictures that show twin aft mounted 1400 HP diesels flanking a 4000 HP turbine. The diesels are connected to Arnesons and the turbine to a water jet.
    I hope this helps. Check out the pic's.
    Dennis

7. Chef Tom 55

Chef Tom 55 New Member

The original Cary 70 had 3-V-12 stern drive the prototype was built for the Devos family. Does anyone else know how many in this configuration were built??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.