Carvel planked dry storage

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Zappi, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Hi, looking to haul out my 35' mahogany over oak Pacemaker for a winter project. She's in need of topsides paint and of course bottom paint with potentially more. My question is... Whats the best solution to keep the hull from drying and shrinking? is it safe to think I can keep an amount of water in the bilge at all times? Do I have options? The boat lives in salt water and has not been hauled since 2007. The plan is to be on the hard for as much as 5 mos. Thanks.
    Aaron

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Put her on the durt ground , not on concrete ground.
    Let the durt nicely wet.
    Good luck for your work
    Daniel

3. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

It will be on dirt or gravel I suppose. I will tent it for the work. Should I wet the ground inside the tent?

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Pudget Sound is quite humid I think, so it should be allright.
    If you put a tent take a silver tarp type, not a colored or tan one.
    Daniel

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

She shouldn't be on dirt, but blocked up over a dirt floor. Don't let the tent touch the hull if you can, because condensation forming on the inside, will run down and collect on the boat, which you want to avoid. No, you don't want water in the bilge, nor do you need to wet the ground around the boat.

6. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. She will be on stands with dirt/ gravel below her. I was planning on tenting her so that I can work on all exterior. So no tarp touching the hull. As far as color goes... I'm on a serious budget so not sure if color choice is in my vocabulary. How critical is color choice?

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In your area, it's not especially important.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.