Cartopable Sailer that sleeps 2?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MoeJoe, May 4, 2012.

1. gilberj

gilberj Junior Member

Bolgers Wisp.....about 20 odd feet long narrow sailing canoe....two people sleep end to end....p'haps 100 lbs,,,

2. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

If you didn't care about staying within the design "rules" for a PD Goose, there is a lot of tweaks you could do to put lipstick on this particular barnyard flatnose. That being said, quite a few people love the in-your-face ugliness of pigs.

Since you are going past even what can be done with a 4x8 sheet of ply, you are going to be scarfing together ply. If you are scarfing, you are going to end up with almost 16' of length. Therefore you could make a longer and more traditionally boat-like shape. I think the flat nosed pram form has a lot of things going for it in a micro-cruiser - beam, stability, side by side berthing etc.

Easing the "squareness" of the Goose design would go a long way. Taped and filleted seams are lighter, stronger and less intrusive than chine logs.

I'd perhaps look to a scow/pram type hull scaled up to the required beam, with a pram-style bow to keep length to what can be done with 15.5 feet of plywood length, adding a cuddy cabin and sealed floatation tanks bow and stern. I'd keep the cuddy/cockpit open and use a boom tent to close in the sleeping area. I'd keep the rig simple - and the boat able to balance with just the main sail up - with a centreline centreboard (not dagger board) to deal with the problems of grounding and rocks.

I'd pick and choose materials and scantlings to keep weight down without compromising strength. Here is about exactly where my thoughts lead - but it isn't a trivial build.

The SCAMP mentioned above probably isn't an easy rooftopper, but it hits my mark on seaworthiness, accommodations, rig, performance and pedigree.

--
    CutOnce

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If going to the trouble of building a boat with the material involved in a PD Goose or even a duck, it could look a bit more like a boat, rather then a concrete mixing tub with lipstick and a cotton dress. The Goose isn't exactly very car topable either, but boats of this general length, certainly can be, if actually shaped like a boat and not the heifer water trough in drag, the PD series seems modeled after. (Hi Mik, :rolleyes: you got your ears on?)

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I think the pram bow could have some merit here for reasons of a shortened hull while maintaining hull width for stability and comfort on the hook (side-by-side sleeping accomodations). All mentioned before. I think that glued-lap construction with marine ply is your best bet for cost to weight ratio. I occasionally think about carbon fiber construction, but then I start looking at price and reality hits me square between the eyes. :eek: I also envision a small (possibly miniscule) foredeck and sidedecks with coams for added dryness. Also a custom boom tent with attachments on the outside of the coamings to securely shed the elements.

I think that a design like the Blackfly that I posted earlier could be a starting point for a design. It has the construction technique. It is light and a few extra pounds for added width shouldn't effect car-topability. Right now it can be portaged single handedly.

My own 2 cents in the food for thought category.

6. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Got lucky this week and found a little sailboat (StorTriss MK2, 17 feet) with a harbour spot on a nice location that I could take over!

I purchased it yesterday, and we went on a first sail today, all worked great. Paid only $2000 for it with motor and extras, so beginner's mistakes should hopefully be affordable. Maybe some higher forces read this thread and felt sorry for me.. :)

Regardless, thanks for all advice and interesting tips, who knows, I might get back to this need of a car topable sailer some time in the future.

[​IMG]

7. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

So you can go to the Dance Camp and sleep on the boat ;)

Have fun !
    Angel

8. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Wow, well spotted Angel, yes, I have the boat in "Herräng" and the sellers did mention something about some sort of dance camp. Perhaps not my thing but who knows..
    I hope to have lots of fun with the boat for sure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.