Miniature CAPAC system?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DomesticPirate, Mar 11, 2009.

1. DomesticPirate

DomesticPirate New Member

Hi. My experience lies mainly in large ships. Most ships use electric cathodic protection to minimize electrolytic corrosion of the hull, along with zincs. Has anyone seen or heard of this system being adapted for use on small metal boats, aluminum boats in particular?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

How small is small?
    The megayacht industry quite often is installing them.

3. DomesticPirate

DomesticPirate New Member

Good point, I was thinking of an aluminum sailboat in the 50'-60' range. I was thinking a small CAPAC system would slow the rate at which the zincs were used up, if economically feasable.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Mercury Marine has a cathodic Protection system that is patented, which uses electronics paired with anodes to protect their aluminum outboard and sterndrives.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I have a 70' AL boat, I look into it and installed meters to tell me about any problems. Actual active systems can be problematic. I decide to go passive system with Zinc Chromate treatment,paint and epoxy barrier then special zincs. Active system would cause paint to peel electrons flow under paint and then you have crevice corrosion ... It is just too complicate to keep working perfectly in AL boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.