Spirit 54 plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dansepu, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Dansepu

Dansepu Junior Member

Hi guys. I'm a young starter on boat building and I'd like to know if anyone of you has a plan of something similar to the Spirit 54 design. I fell in love with it and I'd like my first construction to be like this.

Attached Files:

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Designer/builder

Frosh, Dansepu is asking for plans, not for advice on how and why not to produce them. But, i can imagine there is some valuble information for him in the thread you mentioned.

Dansepu, there are many threads here where people are advised not to be over over ambitious. As you state this is your first construction i am afraid this is going to be another one of those threads.

Can you tell a bit more about your experience in constuction and boating? What are you most attracted to in the Spirit 54, the classic lines or the speed potential? The high speed potential of the Spirit yachts requires advanced building techniques, not something for the beginner. Any 54ft design is a huge building project, do you realise it could take you about 10 years (much more or a bit less, if you are working alone) if you want to finish it at a "yacht quality" level?

Having said all this, boatbuilding is a very rewarding way of wasting your time please don't let any negative response put you off.

Starting a bit smaller may save you a bad experience in boatbuilding, making it more fun.

4. Dansepu

Dansepu Junior Member

Hi guys. I really apreciate these pieces of advice. I read the link, frosh, and I strongly think you are might have been misleaded because I wasn't very specific either. I think I just forgot to tell you a bite more about my carpenter skills because I was too excited after seeing that boat. I saw it and I though that must be my next project. I've already made many woodworking projects, including a canoe (about 10 feet whose plans apeared in a magazine) and a small daysailer (actully, it was a boat and I attached a mast to it), but all of them had detailed-enough plans to be build with no problems.

Speaking about the sailboat itself what I like the most about it are those classic lines. I actually ignore other spirit-54-features, like speed potencial for instance. Well...I should have said that before because I don't think to build a 54 feet sailer, I won't try to build such a masterpiece, but if anyone of you culd help me to find a plan that I could build from of a boat with those lines and between 24 - 30 feet I would be very grateful.

I think you are right when you say a newbi should start with something easier, but in the other hand I think there is no reason for anyone who can read a plan properly not to try it (having the tools of course!!). The sooner I start, the sooner I finish.

What do you think??

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Good idea, if you need free rendering on this sort of boat PM me, I need the practice anyway, I would even render my own dog but she kept moving.:)

Student

6. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi, the information that you provided in your last posting should have been included in your first.
    Also the fact that you are really planning to build something about mid twenty feet length is a completely different challenge to a Spirit 54.
    It is so important to give even more info than necessary rather than not enough. Sorry I don't know of a suitable plan but I am sure some-one will help you out. :)

7. Dansepu

Dansepu Junior Member

Thank you very much, westlawn5554X. I don't know what "PM" means, but I've got the feeling that's good...If you have any doubt related to anything, just let me know. And thank you very much for your willingness. Hope we keep in touch.

And frosh, thank you anyway. I'm much more realistic now.

8. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

PM is private message facility can be activate through UserCP.

Student

9. hansp77

hansp77

Dansepu,
    So far you have said that you like
    "the classic lines" of the Sprit 54.
    Is that all you like about it?
    I mean, obviously there is a lot more to this boat (and any boat) than classic or modern lines.

One of the best ways to start is to list your wants and needs.
    What sort of use do you plan for it? (racing? daysailing? crossing an ocean? etc.)
    Where will this use be?
    What is your sailing experience?
    etc.
    Do you want it to be trailerable?
    what features do you want-
    fixed keel?
    double ender? etc...
    What sort of sail plan or rigging?
    You have said you have carpentry skills- what sort of construction method and or materials do you want to use- wood (strip planking, ply, etc..), fiberglass....

You get the picture.

"classic lines" hardly defines a boat-
    if those 'in the know' are to recommend designs then you will have to provide a LOT more info for them. Narrow down the details you want, and then the recomendations can be tailored to these. You are sure to get more, and better advice this way.

There are a lot of completely different boats with classic lines.

Welcome to the forum,
    Hans.

10. Dansepu

Dansepu Junior Member

I don't know what's wrong with this, westlawn5554X, but apparently I don't have access to the PM service. Hope you don't mind sending me a PM.

You are right, hansp77. As westlawn5554X said he/she could render a preoject for me, I've been wondering which information should I give to him/her. You could say everything is important, but I had no idea where to start, so what you said is very useful.

well...I want a day sailer that I can handle easily (I'm far from being a seasoned yachtman) and it is going to be used in calm water, especifically in a lake. Since it will be used in the place my parents live I don't want it to be trailerable. I don't know the pros and cons of fixed keels, what a double ender is or what rigging I should use, so I can't take a desision yet. It would be nice if you could explain those terms and their main features to me briefly.

It is gonna be used just in soft breezes

The construction method has to be strip planking. It is the one I'm more familiar with and the material is wood, obviously.

If you can give me some more info, welcome. Actually I am more a carpenter than a boat builder (despite those two projects I mentioned above) and any question is Ok. I just wanna learn and build this boat!

11. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

There are alot free project on daysailer but which size you say? You should search the net for the type you like which is listed under freeplan or free project. I cant draw the line for you just the rendering. Do not copy from people's work that they sell.

You could find in the wooden boat forum.

See ya

Student

13. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Questions

Fixed keels make it very hard to trailer a boat, so you will want a centerboard type keel. Or like in the Irens design a shallow keel with a centerboard in it.

A doube ender has a pointy bow and back.

Rigging is a very complicated and personal choice but the rig of the Nigel Irens design is very efficient and easy to handle.

You never know how soft the breeze is going to be.

Good luck making your difficult choice!

14. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Lake

What lake are you planning to sail in Spain, the local conditions can vary greatly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.