Carlson Hull Designer problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Garrett, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett Junior Member

I think this is an excellent program. And it is offered free by the designer - my sincere thank you to you Mr. Carlson.

However, in their continued effort to screw us, Microsoft has stopped MS-DOS support on their Windows XPP. So now there is no way to run an older program on the new system - promoting the public to continually buy newer products to keep Mr. Gates in good health.

So essentially I have lost all my designs and the use of this program in Windows XPP.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this massive setback?

and if so were you able to fix it or remedy the problem so that you could use Carlson again?
    on the chance that it will never work again, is there another comparable shareware program out there that I could use?

Many thanks

2. julleras

julleras Junior Member

I have Win Xp Home and Carlson version 1.85 runs just fine. Why don't you try this version. Good luck!

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

As Juan says, I just downloaded Hull Designer 1.87 tonight, and though I haven't used it extensively, it appears to run without any problems on my Windows XP Pro system.

4. decay21450

decay21450 Guest

lordy, lordy, yet another shot at bill gates. he puts his pants on the same way the rest of us do, although once he has them on he makes billions of dollars. I just wanted to share some actual text i've taken from powerboat ads on e-bay. apparently the well-known station manager of wkrp in cincinnati had a sideline.

"Yes this is a rare first year 1976 CVX20 with a Ford 460 and a Berkely Jet. Art Carlson wanted a full performance boat in 1976 and he sure did a fine job on this one. The 76 is faster than the 77-79 models as Art did not want to loose the additional 4-6 mph with a windshield and added options."

"This is a Carlson Classic.Art Carlson is the pioneer of the arodynamic boats and his boats have style and class."

"For over 30 years Glastron and legendary California boat designer Art Carlson teamed up to push the design envelope for high-performance boats
    ok the boat is a 1985 starcraft / art carlson design"

and finally, the imposter.

"Sugar Sand continues to grow and employs the industry's top designer. Bob Carlson, famous for the Glastron Carlson, and the well respected fleet of
    Crownline boats, continues to add his world class touch to our growing line."

apparently sugar sand didn't want to front the bucks for art carlson. ok, i'll shut up.

Attached Files:

5. Bill B

Bill B New Member

Version 1.87

Jeff,

How do you obtain version 1.87 to run on Win XP? The only download option I see will not run on my computer. Since I am unable to open the program I cannot determine it's version number.

Any suggestions for obtaining this version would be appreciated.

Bill

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure I can be of any help - I'm running the version from http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip on my XP machine here without issue - extracted the zip file and ran hull.exe straight off withut having to do anything special at all.

7. Bill B

Bill B New Member

Carlson 1.87 version

Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. This is the same link I used to download from and the program still will not run on my Win XP system.

Every time I attempt to open the Carlson Hull program I see the following message:

"c:\windows\system32\autoexec.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and windows applications."

I'm beginning to think the trouble may be that the Carlson software was developed for a 16 bit version of windows. I seem to remember installing my XP system with a 32 bit option that was not backward compatibility with the 16 bit version.

In the meantime I've downloaded the free version of the HullForm software which runs fine.

Thank you for the help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.