Simple Wave Models In Rhino...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sean Herron, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...
    I have been asked how I do those silly looking waves that I sometimes post with my silly looking boats - so here goes...
    Crumple up some tinfoil - scan it into PhotoShop - good to blur a bit and black out a flat area - use this as a 'Heightfield' in Rhino - from the command line - trim the waves out of the surface created - Scale as you like - bend to make curved wakes...
    See enclosed - sample map to play with too...
    Hope this explains things - it is good to have a four finger neat Whiskey while doing this - tends to lead to unexpected discoveries...:)
    I am generally not very good at explaining myself - hope the screenshots explain things better...
    Finally stuff in your favourite little boat and fiddle with surfaces - render settings - and scale...
    It is not photorealistic - but so what - photorealism is getting boring...
    Have fun madmen...
    SH.

Attached Files:

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I actually liked this version:

[​IMG]

Gives the idea of what the expression "slices through the water" means. :D

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

A novel and effective solution.

Tim B.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

may send that to my mate Steve Davis, lives up your way, Pt Townsend, did some work for me ages ago, day i was there was wooden boat fest day
    what do you render in?

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Sean I really loved your idea for making quick rough surfaces using the heightfield when you first posted it. I added a twist by using the same image as a bump map on top of the water surface plus a few separate surfaces for different effects. I put it all together in a little tank test render scene .

Attached Files:

6. Sean Herron

More Time Wasted...

Hello...

I just did the above and created two surfaces - one slightly below the other and shaded slightly different from the other...

Go into Bongo and make them rotate against each other and you get something that looks like a rolling sea...

Might even work with the waves 'twitching' against each other - lots of memory and cooking time...

I just noticed that Bongo saves its animations into a folder frame by frame - makes a huge file...

Needs some tweaking...

Also Blender is still free...

That looks good Bknot - boy - two plates of turkey and whiskey - how may ways can you fall asleep...:)

Time wasted - beats TV...:)

SH.

7. Sean Herron

Lazeyjack...

Hello...

You are a lucky man to know Davis - love his work - hate him for having such a great job...:)

I have other waves on file - for whatever reason - it has captured my attention - or what remains of my imagination...

I render in what ever suits my immediate gratification - I am sick to death of looking at almost photo realistic eye candy - I just bang things out in Flamingo and Penguin - Penguin is fun - it has a lot of inherent controls or settings that you can fiddle with - or create you own...

And there is always PhotoShop and Illustrator too...

See how Alik plays with tranparancy...

Thanks...

SH.

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Sean I am only using rhino, flamingo and penguin. Its not which programme, but is it being used for good or evil.

Attached Files:

9. Sean Herron

Some Thoughts For Weekend...

Hello...

I willl play with same and post any results - idea for a texture map for a bow wave - try to fake out spray where same hits the divergent wave...

Also cut out a cone - copy curve edges - make a 'squigly' - do a two rail sweep...

Thanks Bknot - making me play with Bump and Texture maps - I am no pro - but my brain fires off once and awhile - Rhino is great for Condo dwellers...:)

SH.

Attached Files:

10. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Sean I like the wake images should make great bumps , you mentioned Photoshop in one of the posts, I believe its one of the most important steps as you can add detail that would be impossible to model and render effectively, especially spray and foam. The first image of the original scene I added a wave and a separate surface at the crest to give a contrasting white edge. Second image I photo shopped some spray and foam along the edges and on the waves in the wake.

Attached Files:

11. Sean Herron

Attached Files:

12. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

is it not possible to export the wave field that produce in hullspeed to Rhino? so that i can render it

13. Sean Herron

Yes

Hello...

Check page 35 in the Hullspeed manual...

SH.

14. Sean Herron

WAsTING TIME AGAIN...

Hello...

Crest or spray fall - what a trick...

SH.

Attached Files:

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

steve gentle giant, coming your way is studio max nine email your address, I cant use mine, cos my fingures got frostbite in Siberia last winter on the River Tom, where real men go, and where real men dont charge around with M16,s issued by that Palin freako

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.