Carene Software Its here ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by pistnbroke, Dec 1, 2011.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

In another post I mentioned I have Carene software and instruction book ...got lots of requests so if you want it send me a proper e mail address via the PM system or I have tried to put it on as an attachment ..
    As its freeware should not be any problem for the moderator .. If you download it some feedback/reputation would be usefull so I can judge how many people downloaded..thanks

Attached Files:

2. Thames

Thames Junior Member

Thanks!

3. RockyShore

RockyShore New Member

download worked

Thanks for making the file available. The download worked. I was able to open the manual in Linux using WINE. There, I see I need MS Visual Basic, which I have no hope or intention of installing.

I had hoped to see the source code to read some hints on writing my own program, but now I realize that source code isn't available anyway. So, it's back to the drawing board with Python as a programming language.

Ron

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

are you saying you could not use Carene ??? Its all there to use it and once I have done length beam etc I export to Freeship and " adjust "

5. RockyShore

RockyShore New Member

Carene does work on Linux

Yes, I was saying that I could not use Carene because I did not have access to MS-VisualBasic, but I was wrong. With your nudge, I pushed my Linux system a little harder and found that I could run the command: wine setup.exe in the terminal. It was not possible to read the fonts, but with a mouse-over and some guessing I saw enough text to begin setup and reach the window saying clearly "CARENE 2008 Setup was completed successfully." I did have to clean out some files from a canceled first attempt at setup to complete the process.

In the folder .wine/drive_c/'Program Files'/CARENE2008, I was able to run the command: wine Carene2008uk.exe. This brought up the drawing board and dialog for the bottom panel, even though I don't have MS-VisualBasic installed. Now I need to do some learning to go beyond the bottom panel and to learn more of what Carene offers.

On the larger scale, the jury is out on whether Carene can handle the design that I'm working on. It has a dead flat bottom, box keel tapering to a stern post, twin triangular tunnels, and negative deadrise at the transom to form the tunnels. The idea is geometrically similar to the Atkin "Rescue Minor" http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/RescueMinor.html but applied to a short rowed and towed dinghy for a different application.

1 person likes this.

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

It won't do the tunnels nor the deadrise properly. Carene is designed for creating boat hulls that are developable and is VERY conservative in what it will do. Freeship will import an XYZ file created by Carene and then you can manipulate it from there. I don't know if you can run Freeship under Wine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.