CFD sail profile help

Discussion in 'Software' started by daverave, Apr 21, 2010.

1. daverave

daverave New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please move this thread if it is in the wrong spot.

For my final years dissertation i chose to do some computational fluid modelling of the aerodynamics of sails. I'm blowing non-tubulent wind through laser sails at different points of sailing.

I am a laser sailor, race regularly but not excessively and finish usually in the 2/3 of the fleet at club racing, so I know how things work reasonably well.

• To create the 2d sail geometry I use a program called Gambit.
    • To run the CFD I use Fluent
    • In order to create the sail curve I use this online Java applet: http://www.ppart.de/aerodynamics/profiles/NACA4.html. The Java applet can create aerofoil profiles depending on thickness (set it to zero), skew, camber etc (as you can see on the site). I want to model a laser sail through close hauled, beam reach and broad reach points of sailing. For close hauled I know we need cunningham on, outhaul tight, kicker/vang tight to depower - the sail needs to act as a foil to prevent stalling. Vice versa for downwind.

For each point I think I have the correct sail shape in plan view.

Here's my attempt:

Close Hauled
    [​IMG]
    Maximum camber (0-9):3
    Max camber pos. (0-9): 2
    Thickness (0-99): 0
    Point size: 4

Beam Reach
    [​IMG]

Broad Reach
    [​IMG]

Am I correct? Using the link, what do you think the three points should be set at? Use the sliders to change the aerofoil's shape - make thickness zero (negligable) and ignore the sliders below "# Points".

2. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

If you just sail a Laser, why don't you put a trimming line on the, let's say, 1/3 of the sail and take a picture of it, from bottom-up? Then you can easily compare the curve with the shape you are selecting in the software ... this is usually done in larger yachts. You can see an exmple with a Finn with ShapePlot, or you can try AccuMeasure. To cite a few examples.

Good look!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.