Carene, exporting panels

Discussion in 'Software' started by sailordave, Apr 21, 2010.

1. sailordave

sailordave Junior Member

I have begun to get the hang of using CARENE software, however I was wondering what is the best/easiest way to export the layout for the individual panels. Searching the forums has yielded some suggestions, most of which I was not familiar w/. Just wondering what you do?

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Carene doesn't have many adherents...so you may have trouble finding much info on it. I have used it for years so I am pretty familiar with it.

What you have to do is you have to print the offsets for the panels. This takes quite a bit of paper but if you have a program that makes pdfs via a virtual printer you can use it to get your offsets without going through half a ream of paper. You can also save it in various forms and import into a CAD then go from there. The offsets from Carene are in metric only but I have successfully used the program and gotten good offsets by just thinking of the numbers as feet. I do the design like it is in feet and read the offsets like they are also. Be prepared to use a calculator because the stations are not at even intervals but rather the boat is divided into something like 80 slices (regardless of the length of boat) and numbers are given for each slice. Your numbers will come out like this 12.8961 which must be converted to feet and inches or leave as is if you are using metric. You will VERY rarely see an even number.

Steve

3. sailordave

sailordave Junior Member

So what function in CARENE does this? HOW do I do this? I don't mind working in metric, in fact laying out panels is really one time I find it easier than English.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

File: Print: either development or all offsets. All offsets gives you the offsets for the whole hull along with the panels and some other info. You won't get pictures with stations etc...you will get a plain outline of the panel and sheets of numbers which are the offsets for the points that you plot and spring a batten to to draw the outline on your stock or pattern material.

5. sailordave

sailordave Junior Member

Damn, I hadn't used the program for a while and just fired up that computer. I was using the CARLSON Design software. Sorry for the confusion.
    One of those days....!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.