covering a new floor

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rabbithutch, Sep 13, 2008.

1. rabbithutch

rabbithutch New Member

I have replace bad plywood in a 1992 bayliner with new marine grade plywood.
    I have applied epoxy and a layer of fiberglass to the new floor.
    I have seem slip resistant paint and thought that this would be better than carpet to keep clean.
    What is the next step?
    Do I just paint over the fiberglass or does something else need to be done?
    Thanks for your help, Ralph

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Some folks will simply sprinkle (salt shaker) sand on wet paint. This is cheap BUT almost impossible to keep clean.

Smarter folks use a store bought no skid as its usually ground walnut shells , which at least can be sanded off.

My technique is to obtain cotton bug screening , in the largest openist weave you can find.

Northern camping places are more worried about 1/2 lb green flys , than no-see-ums , that's the stuff.

With spray starch iron the material to get all the wrinkles out.

Trace an outline on the floor in heavy pencil, and trim the material to fit.

Then use a roller to give a thin coat or 2 part epoxy paint to the floor , lay on the screening and give another thicker (BUT NOT THICK!!) of 2 part.

For some reason the cotton will absorb the epoxy totally , drawing the paint up into all parts of the screening.

The result will look like built in no skid , and if damaged really badly , simply sand the cotton screen and layer of paint off , and do it again.

Not expensive , not high skilled , but looks grand!

FF

3. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

Depending on where the floor is located, do salt shaker then add a piece of custom carpet or rug style for easy removal & cleaning ... looks & feels terrific
    Velcro works - Babes love it
    BR>Jack

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If you used waxed resin for the glass, you have to sand that off first. Your slip resistant paint will be much better than carpet.

5. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

I had a huge 45' Scarab that had 100 grit deck - it would wear boats shoes out and was murder on our feet. In the stand up cockpit area I put down a piece exactly like this - it was heaven Boating in boots/shoes is kinda sucky, unless ya offshore, which we were not, under those circumstances. When ya hit the dock, shake it out and go home.
    BR>Jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.