Sterndrive templates?

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by DianneB, Jul 7, 2011.

1. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

Does anybody know where to find templates for sterndrive mounting?

I am planning to replace the A-225 Chrysler engine and Penta 270 sterndrive in my 1966 Lonestar with a Mercruiser L4-3.0 and a Yamaha sterndrive and it would be REALLY helpful to have templates for both so I can determine what changes need to be made in the boat's stern. It would be nice if I could do this BEFORE I pull the drive out of the boat.

Thanks everybody!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Which 270 is it? Does it have a round hole in the transom?

3. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

I seem to remember the housing as being very much round.

4. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

Sorry if you have already done this but have you tried searching for a manufactures web site? I would think that Volvo-Penta would have info on their outdrive. Many manufactures have large archives of even old equipment information just to keep down the requests coming into the company for tech info.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The hole will be bigger, so it will be no major problem to replace.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I only remember cutting the huge hole for a 270
    Didnt know there was 2 types?
    a 110 had a small round hole

8. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

I was on the boat this weekend and had a closer look. The 270 actually has quite a small cutout in the transom.

I DID search extensively and found the mounting manual for the L4 3.0 which shows how to use of the template but does not contain the template itself - I presume it is something you have to purchase from Mercruiser. I was NOT able to find the template or the installation procedure for the Penta drive.

It has become rather a moot point right now anyway. I did a compression test on the A-225 and it indicates the valves are bad (best cylinder 128, worst 63 PSI) so I am going to have to swap heads. If the cylinders look good (which I suspect they are because it burns no oil) I will be staying with the A-225.

I did learn enough to know that swapping engines and drives is a HUGE job. The mounting and aligning is only the beginning! Then there is the electrical, control cables, and so forth. As long as the 225 is rebuildable at a reasonable cost, it doesn't make sense to swap drives and engines.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

how about a photo from the inside of the 270 transom plate

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.