carbon propellers?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by b_rodwell, Nov 24, 2002.

1. b_rodwell

b_rodwell Junior Member

I am interested in designing a battery/diesel electric drive for a 70' sailing catamaran. Not disimilar from the Solomon approach. I have worked out most of the components but I am not happy with the propeller. Following the advice in the books I went for a low rpm solution (1000rpm) and came up with a 24" diameter x 15" pitch. I have plenty of space but I don't like the weight estimated at 40lbs.

I seems to me that propellers could be made from carbon. They should be lighter and less expensive. I have searched on Google but could only find outboard propellers and air propellers. Has anyone heard of suppliers for non-metalic propellers in this size range?

2. yipster

yipster designer

yes they do exist, i've seen them.

they came with a lot of long bended blades and in sizes as you mention. less expensive i doubt but do recall a dutch comp. on a show here some years back with that. maybe it was experimental and probably there are more. i'll see what i can find.

:)

3. b_rodwell

b_rodwell Junior Member

I think the hunt for my carbon propeller is getting warm. Holland sounds good. If you look at page 90 of the September issue of Yachting World there is a photo of a carbon propeller that is getting closer.

I did a google search on the boat builder mentioned in the article - Johan Vels Jachtbouw. I got 5 hits but they were all in Dutch - not very helpful to me. Are there any surfers out there who can read Dutch? I am looking for the company that built the propeller. A web URL would be great but, failing that, a name and phone number.

Thanks

4. lockhughes

lockhughes ElectricGuy

How's your Swedish? ... just kidding, their site has English pages:

http://www.propulse.se/english/index.html

Sorry, not sure of size ranges. Custom negotiable maybe? (They're going to have to get up to speed with the electric crowd sometime eh? <wink>)

Cheers

Lock

5. yipster

yipster designer

johan vels adress and phone:

Jachtbouw johan vels
    tel. 0227 545062
    adress: zeldenrust 11 medenblik Holland

his phone dont answer at the moment and his site i cant find that easy.

i have not seen the September issue of Yachting World yet.

the props i was refering to i cant find the folders back on nor an adres, that were big props, iff i recal well made to order, and i started a little inquiry to find them.

yipster

6. yipster

yipster designer

ps: forgot to mention i'm dutch and can read (a little) :) if you want some translations gimmy the url's and articles.

the props i have seen some 6 years back on a show were yellow/green not carbon. but just what your looking for i thought.
    posted a info. or.... on a sailing cat you do want that big prop pichable or as saildrive i asume?

and yip, it should be easy'er to find these things!

7. b_rodwell

b_rodwell Junior Member

I plan to use the propeller with an electric motor, all mounted in an structure similar to a conventional outboard. When sailing the unit would be tilted and the propeller would be completely out of the water.

Accordingly I have no need to alter the pitch to reduce drag. A 'nice to have' would be the facility to change the pitch as part of the tuning for optimal performance.

8. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

The site given by lockhughes misbehaves(?)

I've been there a few times. The first time it only showed the home page with nothing else.

The second time the same thing but I clicked repeatedly on the word home just under the pic of the propeller. It took an age but finally a menu appeared showing range of sizes and power, adjustments to pitch and so on.

There is even a US distributor but what a surprise when I visited his site.
    Michael

9. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

b_r

Here’s the result of a very fast search

http://www.acepropeller.com/pages/composite.html
    http://www.henleyspropellers.com/propeller_range.htm
    I suppose you’ve seen them it’s just that the second one mentions sizes up to 83” dia which is hardly an outboard (Jolly Green Giant’s excepted :D)

They were what seemed the most relevant but there might be some others, try this
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=prope...00&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=100&sa=N
    mostly not applicable but some interesting reading nevertheless.

I would appreciate if you could post a little info about your design and keep us “up to date” on your progress. Electric propulsion is the way to go if you can afford the extra costs involved but that torque “curve” is something else again.

Good luck
    Michael

10. yipster

yipster designer

thanks for the search, i coulndnt find it back but this looks very similar. mayby the "combination of carbon, aramide and highly drawn polyethylene" made me see that "Jolly Green Giant :D"
    :) yipster

Attached Files:

11. Guest

Guest Guest

The propellor in the picture is a Contur F and is manufactured by
    AIR Fertilug-Technologie Gmbh
    Phone 49(0) 38295 77 78-0
    air.rostock@t-online.de

12. yipster

yipster designer

13. School Teacher

Try an organization called "Free Enterprises" They make several carbon fiber props of various ranges...very efficient. They actually specialize in man-powered hydrofoils, but make some very big props too.

14. Cordelia

Cordelia Guest

For info, QinetiQ have designed, manufactured and installed a large (~3m) composite propeller which has been very successful in sea trials. If you are interested in a specific design then please contact the team via the website on http://www.qinetiq.com/home/contact/QQenquiryform.html or by phone on +44 (0)8700 100 942.

15. waqas20

waqas20 New Member

Q-SPD have a carbon fibre system google Q-psd for more info

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.