Carbon Mast FEA

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nemo, May 12, 2004.

1. trouty

trouty Guest

I aims to please, never a dull moment and all! ;o)

Tapered poles with strings attached at the top and things bound on - all up 'n down em - sounds pretty much the same to me!.

Whered you think all them carbon masts boys got all their good oil? - they was learning of Gary Loomis all bout high modulus graphite - same with the windsurfer dudes - fly rod technology is light years ahead of you NA's playing with masts - I KNOW where the catch up is needed! he he he!

Thinkin outside a the square...

Cheers!

2. trouty

trouty Guest

Ohh yeah, I should have mentioned - that Eulers wall buckling theorem applied equally to both masts and fly rods (and any other wall structure).

Also we try real hard NOT to bend high modulous graphite fly rods past 90 degrees from tip to but (especially when fighting fish) - because as I've already shown they exceed their parent material S to F ratio's and go bang - just like ya fancy azzed carbon Yacht masts when stays let go etc.
    We actually point the "fishing pole" at the fish - lay the rod along the straight line and apply the bending force at the but end - just like ya mast - but obviously not being a fly fisher - you likely can't see that when comparing masts and rods...

Cheers!

3. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Carbo fiber masts are generally used to avoid standing rigging as well as light weight.
    If going for unstayed, one of the benefits is flexible, when the rig is overloaded by wind, it bends, spilling some of the wind, reducing the need to reef.
    If strictly for a weight savings, it will be stayed, and very expensive for what it is, unless you're building a rocket ship sail boat.
    But really the question is, will the nut scratcher work with a night time stiffy, or should we work more towards carbon fiber in our dreams???

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Thanks for reminding us that the mast types and functions are well defined, if we can just jump in and make the decision to pick one style.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.