Carbon Fibre Wing Mast

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by SouthernWing, Aug 2, 2004.

1. SouthernWing

SouthernWing Junior Member

I am building a 58ft catamaran of my own design and I am also interested in building a carbon fibre wing mast. I am hoping the cat will come in at 6.5 tons when completed. The hulls are ply and the rest is composite. I built my own hitchhiker 33, 20 years ago and sailed the world for 17 years. I live in Brisbane, Australia and intend to go cruising again when the cat is finished. I am looking at a 20mtr mast. Would appreciate any help.

Phill wise

2. stevemiddendorf

stevemiddendorf New Member

Hi Phill;
    I live in Sydney and have a similar objective: carbon wing mast for a 40 foot catamaran. I have not found a source for designs. Jeff Schionning Designs has these but limits sales to builders of thier cats. Have you had any luck finding a replicatable design?

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Phill, Steve,
    Consult a naval architect for design and engineering, the structure of a composite spar should always be analyzed thoroughly before building, it's well spent money.

Good luck,
    Yokebutt.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Call or send an email to "rob denney". He makes carbon fiber masts. He also has an engineering service available. Not sure what part of australia he lives in.

2 weeks into strip planking the first hull half on my cat. Going slow. I am now up to 6 planks a day.

5. SouthernWing

SouthernWing Junior Member

Hi Steve

No I have not found a design. I have a little information from the net stating that the thickness of the layup is the same as the thickness of an aluminium mast of the same size. I have a few friends in the industry so I am still inquiring. I am still building my boat so my inquiries at the moment are just casual. I will get into it a lot more when I am actually ready to start building the mast which is about ten months away. If I get any info I will certainly pass it on. Many thanks for your contact.

Phill

6. newo eloc

newo eloc Junior Member

hi phil, I to are in Brisbane I to am building a cat 12mtr but mine will weigh only 600 kg basicly two pipes, 4 beams, tramps, rigging and sails and thats about it. Have you checked out "spitfire" a 40ft cat over there in Perth. The best carbon fibre masts and the best cat I've seen if the site can be beleaved.They used carbon fibre over a thin gauge stainless form,they just slip over a double sided sail like a sock over the stayless mast. Have a nozy www.bdg.co.au then marine div. I,ll be going with the two masts but in alloy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.