Carbon fiber print through reduction?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Carbonman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Junior Member

Im still thinking of using infusion epoxy resin for my carbon fiber products. We make carbon n fiber products for light weight, strong, and visually pleasing part. My only problems are 1, carbon fiber print through and 2, the parts warping in heat. So I will be using a high heat resistant epoxy but dont know how to fix the print through.

Clear coating it twice isnt enough because the fabric still gives the print through texture. Can I use a polyester gel coat?

How can I do this?

2. latman

latman Junior Member

the only way I think you can use the polyester Gelcoat is to coat it with Hawkeyes clear duratec.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

A guy in the shop next to me is making BMW saddle bags from carbon fiber and kevlar in vinyl and clear gelcoat. They come out of the mold pretty dang nice but he sands a few imperfections, sprays on another coat, sands and polishes. I wonder if a slower cure might reduce your print-thru. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a different fabric.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

There is way too little information to give useful hints.

What resin do you use? Epoxy, ok, but what are the characteristics.

What cure cycle?

Waht layup?

Which fiber?

Do you use a gelcoat or any coat now?

5. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

what kind of resin do you use?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.