1972 Wood Shrimper

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sheprd, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Sheprd

Sheprd New Member

Good day,

I am currently considering in an investment in a 1972 Holden shrimp boat conversion. She is 64 foot loa and built in Louisiana.

The boat has been completely converted into a floating restaurant/nightclub. It is currently fully certified and stability tested in Panama for 100 people.

My question is about USCG coi. Has anyone been able to get a coi for a converted shrimper for commercial use? Any areas of a wooden shrimp boat I should pay special attention to to meet USCG requirements? Is it even possible with this of boat

Picture
    https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0095009/photos/137705615@N07/

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Obtain a copy of Subchapter "T" , free from the coasties and see what is required.

Probably easier to purchase a new vessel than convert an out of std vessel.

Bilge pumps , WT bulkheads and many other requirements stand in the way.

There are always lots of ex head boats , for sale , many with time before their next required inspection, buy one of these.

The usual place to look is,

Boats- And-Harbors.com is "The Commercial Marine...
    www.aboutus.com/Boats-And-Harbors.comCached

Title. Boats & Harbors - The Commercial Marine Marketplace Description. Excerpted from the website description: Find the best marine equipment in the shipping ...

Good hunting. and good luck , I assume you already have the required license to operate a commercial passenger vessel.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You won't be able to get a COI for 100 people on a 64 foot boat. Right now it is a dockside attraction, which has different rules. Are you planning on changing it to carry passengers?

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

In addition to checking that stability, watertight bulkhead, fire suppression, etc requirements are met, the US Coast Guard will also inspect the construction and condition of the vessel including planking, frames, deadwood and fasteners before issuing a certificate of inspection. A few fasteners are usually pulled for inspection. My recollection is the '70's southern built shrimp boats were generally built to be very competitive on price, not for longevity. What is the condition of the fasteners? Were they galvanized? How much rot? My guess is the US Coast Guard would look very closely at the condition of a previously un-inspected former shrimp boat.

5. Sheprd

Sheprd New Member

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful so far.

Gonzo, the boat actually never operates dockside. It will be used only tied up to a mooring ball. The boat is never underway with passengers on board. All people arrive on their own boats or swim up. There is no charge for people to come aboard and purchase at the bar and restaurant are completely optional and not a requirement for boarding. This is the area that get confusing as it does not qualify as a "attraction" vessel and on the charts on

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/PVSA_NVIC_7-94.pdf

It falls under The REC category as there are never passengers for hire and not chartered so does it even require tboat?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are not tied in to a shoreside facility, it will be considered "underway". For that type of operation, you'll be better off with a floating dock where people can get on if they so choose.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

That thing looks like a capsize waiting to happen.:(

Top deck gets loaded with extra provisions and equip by the non-seafaring catering staff, bunch of drunk fatties rush to one side, wave and gust of wind and over she goes.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Commercial vessels go from the US to Central America and the Carib, not the other way around. There is a reason for this. Just walk away, or keep it in Central America and enjoy the fun, but do not invest - you need to be taking money out of the operation from day one, don't even once put more money in than you take out. Sorry to sound ruthless, but this is the only way with old boats. Also, it is common to register such vessels with imaginary entities as owners. There is one that is owned by a dog that has been dead for several years. People do this for a reason, not because they are dumb.

9. Sheprd

Sheprd New Member

Thank you to everyone replying so far, has been very insightful, love the story of the dead dog!

I have attached some plans and the stability test below. I can't understand what all the numbers mean, stability test is to IMO standards but I do not know how close to USCG IMO is.

Plans
    Stability Test
    Soundings Etc

10. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

if im not mi
    istaken... new fire protection laws on a new c.o.i. fall under s.o.l.a.s.regulations for over 100 persons and require a fire retardant hull or for machinery compartments to be totally fire lined .with proper above deck coatings that is very expensive.... and you could figure on refastening the whole boat.... i would think it would be way to much $$$$$

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.