Carbon and corrosion

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Ssharpsjc, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Ssharpsjc

Ssharpsjc Junior Member

I am looking for advice on insultating metal fasteners on carbon masts and carbon sails. The current method requires the use of titanium materials which are difficult to come by. Are there any suggestions on how I might adequately insulate stainless so that it can be used?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't have first hand experience, but some people have been succesful with plastic washers and sleeves.

3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Just out of interest .. where did you get the info about needing to use Titanium?

Paul

4. Ssharpsjc

Ssharpsjc Junior Member

Since posting this question about carbon and stainless I have phoned several designers and suppliers of carbon masts. None have any experience that indicates a direct corrosion problem. Most uses of titanium are for lightness not corrosion. In fact there are several hundred carbon masts with stainless fasteners on the water and many are over 10 years old and have considereable sailing time on them. The initial concern seems to be fantasy from someone I should have known not to trust. :)

5. yipster

yipster designer

checking aluminium, stainless steel, carbon on weight, bending and price. titanium claims to be fair priced (how fair?) be lighter and stronger than alu. just getting into reading how to weld it at materialsworld anyone here with experience?

6. Morgig

Morgig Junior Member

Although not directly related, I have heard of problems associated with carbon rudder stocks and alloy bearing housings. It would therefore make sense to give some consideration to water trapment when using any fittings less nobel than carbon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.