Are you kidding me?!... Mercruiser 165

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by satrefftzs, Jun 30, 2007.

1. satrefftzs

satrefftzs New Member

I'm running a twin Merc 165 setup, and I keep snapping belts on my port engine. The belt is EXACTLY the same as my Starboard belt, which is doing fine. Why??!! This is driving me crazy! Also, is there ANY other way to change the belt on these things without taking the front engine mount off, and lifting up the block...hence my frustration! Any help would be much appreciated.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Is it a serpentine belt or a v-belt? In any case, check the alignment of your pulleys.

3. satrefftzs

satrefftzs New Member

To be honest with you, I don't know the difference between the serpentine or a v-belt. It's just connected around 3 pullies (water pump, altenator, other one?!). Is it possible to check/fix the alignment of these pullies without taking the engine out of the boat? I'm pretty much a one-man crew here! Thanks alot for your time.

4. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Well, a v-belt has a somewhat triangular cross section, while a serpentine belt is flat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The second picture has a picture of a "v" ribbed belt. That type of belt is commonly referred to as a serpentine belt.

Here's a picture of a misalined belt. This is usually cause by a bent mounting bracket or maybe the wrong part number pulley or accessory.

[​IMG]

5. satrefftzs

satrefftzs New Member

It's definitely a cogged V-belt. I'm going to tinker a bit this afternoon, checking the alignment of the pullies. I sincerely appreciate your help. I wish I would have known about this place sooner!

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

If you're snapping Belts, it sounds to me that one or more of your pulleys could be Excentric - not mounted on it's centerline, or posibly a worn shaft causing the center to change enabling the belt to tighten excessively. You might check this out by rotating the engine slowly, preferably by hand w. a wrench and checking tension at various points during one revolution.

Jango

7. redtech

redtech Senior Member

just a thought on the belts if you have v-belts if the belt is to deep into the groove this can cause a belt to brake a v-belt runs on the sides not the bottom

8. george allard

george allard Junior Member

Somebody probably rebuilt the alternator and left out the spacer behind the pulley. Also check the spacers, shims, on the mounting bolt.

9. paraselene

paraselene New Member

I had a 165 for many years, solid as a rock but a bear to change that belt. I supported the motor with a non leaking hydraulic jack into the bilge. After marking it's correct height, turned down the front engine mount adjustment enough to allow me to slip in two belts. Install one and zip tie the other out of the way as a spare. Turn the adjustable front mount back up, pull the jack and I was done. Be very careful jacking into the bilge, distribute the load and watch the front of the engine for lift (try not to lift at all). As to belts, there are A and B types (sizes), as long the bottom of the belt is not touching the base of the pulley alignment looks like the problem as previously noted.

10. jparler

jparler New Member

you can remove the belt without removing the mount. the right side has 2 bolts on the block when you remove them a piece of the bracket will slide out

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.