carb to efi - howto

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I just bought a new long block marine engine (chevy 350 5.7 vortec). Here's a picture:
    www.sfatek.com/images/engine.jpg and was wondering if anyone has a howto or a link to change from carburator to a fuel injected system - like this picture:
    www.sfatek.com/images/efi.jpg
    Any help is appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You have to get :
    *intake manifold
    *crankshaft with position sender
    *crankshaft position sensor
    *Manifold absolute pressure sensor
    *Throttle position sensor
    *throttle valve
    *injection rail
    *fuel vapor separator
    *fuel cool system
    *low pressure fuel pump
    *high pressure fuel pump
    *fuel pressure regulator
    *coolant temperature sensor
    *engine wire harness
    *fuel injector set
    *distributor
    *engine control module (calibrated for your application)
    *fuel lines
    *oil pressure switch
    The how to do it information is in the shop manual.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for you reply.
    Is there a kit for purchase on this you know of? You also mention shop manual - what shop manual are you thinking of? A link would be great.

Thanks,

Morten

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use either the factory or one of the aftermarket shop manuals. Mercruiser, Volvo-Penta and PCM make fuel injection systems for these engines. There are some high performance kits for racing engines, but they cost about the same as a whole standard engine. The parts from one of the manufacturers will cost you about $3500 to $4500.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    again thanks for you help..
    I am trying to find out any info on this integral air fuel module (IAFM) inlet manifold with port fuel injection (www.sfatek.com/images/efi.jpg ).
    It has stainless steel tip fuel injectors and stainless steel fuel rails. It also has a throttle body that includes a throttle position sensor (TPS) and an idle air control (iac) motor. I don't know who to contact and are looking for any help possible..
    Thanks.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is a standard marine setup. I can get you a price but it will be in the range I said.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

If you have a step by step info it would be great.
    One more question: this engine came with 14" flyweel. What is the correct size I should use? It is for a 24" power boat, volvo penta 270 outdrive. Dealer says I have to change..Any idea?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The step by step is in the manual. It has all the info for when an engine gets rebuilt. If you got a new style block, the flywheel is for a metric starter. I believe you need an old style flywheel, but I'll check to make sure.

9. yipster

yipster designer

Gonzo,
    i've got a EFI question also. the high pressure fuel pumps on our sundancers 262 magnum EFI gen+ engines get el. and fuel but dont pump anymore. i've just seen one opened but hear they are not servicable and must be renewed, cost about 1100 plus 80 gaskets (times 2). do you happen to know if there are other options execpt going new?

thanks ahead
    yipster

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are the pumps Carter? There are several styles, I believe you are talking about pumps that are separate but together in a bracket. Have you checked both the low and high pressure? In my experience the low pressure pump tends to fail more often. Is this a 262 Mercruiser? They share components with VolvoPenta, but have differences. Also, what currency are you using? In US dollars that is too much. If you can't get a better deal, I can ship them to you. We do a lot of business with Europe and the Middle East.

11. yipster

yipster designer

thanks for the reply Gonzo. nop, not carter or low pressure, high pressure on top and front of the engine injecting the inlet manifold, 12 volt. taken off and openend there is some sort of 3 inch long inch wide tube filter but did not see the pumping part yet. that was the marine power price included 19% tax in euro's i'm told. way to much? pumps not servicable? i'll check back tommorow.

Attached Files:

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like a cluster unit setup. It has a low pressure pump, a high pressure pump and a pressure regulator all together. If it is what I think, there is a flexible line from the fuel tank to the pump inlet, a metal line out to the injector fuel rail, two water cooling hoses and a vacuum line to the intake manifold. What is the make of the injection system? If it is one of the cluster units they are about US$650.00, I need to check to make sure. It would help if you can find a model/serial number.

13. yipster

yipster designer

pumps were not serviceable and are now beeing replaced with new ones. eng. sn: 0F 803823 build '96. injection pump make is mercruiser also. maybe next time getting parts there may make a lot of sense? thanks!

yipster
    had to be done but does makes one think of efi to carb.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Gm Iafm

Part numbers:
    intake manifold: 12553916
    throttle body: 17097078
    idle air control motor: 17113209
    fuel rail: 12553918
    fuel injector: 17124248 (qty of 8)
    fuel pressure regulator: 17123897

Parts restricted to marine dealers only. i.e. can only purchase them from a marine dealer. Not local GM dealer.
    I have tried. Local GM dealer was able to look up the parts but could not get them. I recieved this info from GM.

15. yipster

yipster designer

these parts only wont work, see Gonzo's list above

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.