carb float adjustment

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by j2oh2o, Aug 10, 2008.

1. j2oh2o

j2oh2o New Member

I Just purchased an old 73 bedaruin with a 302 ford and a volvo outdrive. From the start, I had problems with the engine bogging down after it warms up. I found out someone removed the ballast resistor for the ignition coil. I fixed that, but I still have a problem at high speed and sharp turns. I have the old 4160 Holly carb. I dont think the carb is marine application because it doesn't have the j vent tubes. I'm guessing it's not because its so old. I took it apart and it looks the same as my 4160 on my truck. Here's my main question.... Where should I put the float setting because if I put the level right at the hole on the side of the carb like you would with a vehicle, it still cuts out. The more I Raise the feul level the better it gets, but I just dont know if this is right.

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I don't know, but why would the settings be different between a truck and the boat. Perhaps the fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel?

3. j2oh2o

j2oh2o New Member

I checked the feul pump and seems to be working properly. It seems the angle of attack is much more harsh on this boat when turning sharp then on a normal vehicle on normal roads. I understand though if the feul pump has good pressure but not enough volume, that could be a problem. I'm going to try a high volume electic pump and see if that helps. Thanks.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

did you get it running yet?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.