Car Blew Up Mid Boat Build... Ideas?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by CatBuilder, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Don't buy a car with a northern history because of the rust issue. Southern roads don't get salted.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Definitely, Hoyt... definitely.

If we get something used (most likely), it's going to be down here and I'll drive it up to her. :cool:

It didn't help matters with that car when we stored it for years on end at marinas on the ocean. Road salt plus that kind of storage and I guess we're lucky to have got this many years out of it.

3. CatBuilder

Yep. That seems to be about the magic number to get a car like the one we just lost (same year and less miles).

If I bought a $4K car, I wouldn't even insure it. Just play the odds on that one.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Surly you've gotta insure for third party damage- or is that compulsory in the US? I wouldn't take the risk on that.

My current car is a 96 Camry wagon(nice cond good rubber 11 months rego), got it from a bloke that was gunna trade it on a new one, in the deal he was looking at the value was $1000 over buying the new one for cash, so in spite of the dealer he sold it to me for that.... as the dealer was really paying nothing for it. Every one happy! esp me, find a trade in before its traded in is a good way to get a reasonably priced car.
    Although having done that, for my Wife or Kids much newer is appropriate- thats some precious cargo! Jeff.

5. hoytedow

You have to carry liability but not comprehensive insurance. Liability is to protect fellow drivers, not yourself.

6. CatBuilder

No, I don't. You do, but I don't. :D

Jeff: It is not compulsory in the States, as it is not a federal law. It is a state-by-state, local law and the state in which your car is registered has jurisdiction. My state does not require insurance. I come from a place where the emphasis is on personal freedom, coupled with a deep sense of personal responsibility - hence my senseless rants on forums! :)

I'm very proud of my state. We sent the corporate insurance lobby packing when they tried to ruin our freedoms and force us (by law) to buy their products.

I have driven my privately owned (no loan) vehicles for my entire life with no insurance, except one vehicle I leased many years ago. That's about 24 years now I have driven free of the corporate ogliarchy most of you are stuck with when driving. There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not thankful for where I'm from.

7. hoytedow

You do in Florida!

8. CatBuilder

*You* do in Florida, since you are a resident. I don't, since I'm just visiting and I am not a resident.

9. hoytedow

If you have an accident you will learn differently or show financial ability (self insured) to make other party whole.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Haven't read the whole thread but Cat, if you do buy a used engine, you'll have to also insure the timing belt has been replaced or have it done, extra $$$.

I think you get what I mean, right?

-Tom

11. CatBuilder

Yes, I know what you mean. That's one of the biggest factors in the decision not to continue with the old car, other than rust.

12. CatBuilder

Exactly. Now you are understanding my state's system. If you get in an accident or are a bad driver (tickets, violations, etc...), you are required to show financial responsibility because you are not a good driver.

It is a system that values personal freedom and demands personal responsibility, including financial responsibility. Driving well is a part of that personal responsibility. Our accident rates are extremely low, as a state. We are all brought up to drive with intense focus and using all the proper methods, never doing stupid things like txting, or not watching your mirrors the entire time you're behind the wheel. Use the left lane for passing, the right lane for slow travel, obey speed limits and pay lots of attention. If you drive well, you don't need your freedoms taken away. If you are a poor driver (as evidenced by tickets, moving violations, accidents, etc...) you then must obtain insurance or prove your financial responsibility to self insure.

Good drivers do not need financial responsibility because they (we) don't cause accidents. Simple as that.

Knock on wood, but 24 years of driving now, no accidents and no insurance.

Even if I have to pay $10,000 because I'm driving poorly and I make a mistake driving, it's still less than paying insurance premiums for 24 years.

Take a look at your deductible on your insurance plan. That is the most likely thing to happen and that's why they don't cover it. Those are the things you will be paying for (broken windshield, dents, fender benders, etc..) If you have insurance, you get to pay for all that stuff that actually will happen, *plus* the insurance premium.

Insurance makes little sense when there is little risk. Insurance companies like to make you think you are at great risk for something so they can sell more policies and keep your money to invest it, making themselves more money. They also like to lobby the government to try and steal your money by making it a law to buy their product under some inflated "safety" or "risk" fear that always works for them.

We didn't let the government reach into our private lives or our free market.

We also can do the following, though of course some do not follow when we leave the state:
    *Carry concealed weapons
    *Buy Cars without paying a sales or use tax
    *Buy Boats without a sales or use tax
    *No personal income tax

As a pretty strong conservative, you have to see the beauty in our highly conservative values... no?

We keep the government out of our lives.

13. hoytedow

Financial responsibility is the way to go. Some meet that requirement through the purchase of appropriate amounts of insurance in lieu of having to show proof of wealth.

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

maybe you could put a poll up on the thread. then just go with the highest vote, that way you don't have to make any decisions your self.

15. CatBuilder

Glad you like it. :D

I know it's a little different than what most people are used to.

That's correct. When someone is deemed a bad driver (through tickets, DUI/DWI/OUI, accidents, etc...) they are then required to provide proof of financial responsibility. Yes, that financial responsibility can be in the form of either a show of ability to pay for damages or through the purchase of standard car insurance.

I'm sure once most people make that list of bad drivers, they end up buying the insurance.

Also, an car you buy on loan or lease requires all insurance, plus comprehensive and whatever because of the bank, so if anyone finances a car in my state, they have to buy insurance.