Car Blew Up Mid Boat Build... Ideas?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by CatBuilder, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Cars were simpler back then. The straight-6 engine came out of a Mercury Monarch with rear end damage (totaled) but went into a Ford Falcon. 8 hours max. Plus, everything is less expensive in the south. Many little garages in the south can accomplish this for a bargain. Shop around. Don't buy a brand new engine. Try to get one with a timing chain and avoid timing belts in the future.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That would be good, but the car is not in the south. It's in the North and it's really rusted out. Not sure if you fully comprehend the level of the rust, being a guy from the south.

The frame fell apart. The fuel canister fell apart. The power steering manifold fell apart. All due to rust through. There are probably have a dozen things (including the radiator) in the same shape.

I think it would be throwing good money after bad. If I could swap the engine, sure... but $2500 base cost on that is too much considering all the $700 here, $1000 there costs we've been having lately thanks to things rotting away.

Sure wish cars were more simple.

That last $700 fix was basically the same system we had on that ABYC gasoline engine requirements thread here a while back. A charcoal filter that absorbs gasoline fumes then sends them into the intake when appropriate to keep emissions down from the gas tank. Has no function necessary to the car, but made the car run poorly and had to be replace for $700.

I definitely agree about timing belts. The first thing I did was check if my Mercedes straight 5 in my RV had a belt or chain and what the service interval was. :)

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'd strongly recommend against a used engine, its one small step above a reconditioned one. Worst thing you could possibly do and the least likely to succeed, I've turned all my own wrenches for 35~40 years and Ive seen that mistake before a hundred times, seldom does it ever work out you get a reliable engine. Either let the factory provide a new engine or ditch the car and buy something else with a factory engine in it. Never ever ever trust a used or reconditioned engine. Two thumbs down on buying a used engine. Unless you plan on taking it down to the rotating assembly and resembling it yourself while miking every part and gauging the entire thing for yourself as well as checking for cylinder wear alignment with ring wear, bla bla bla. Nuff said, don't do it.

That cavalier I paid $600 for 11 or so years ago still runs like a top, looks like hell but its a timex when it comes to motion. I'd recommend that car anyday Cheep and easy.

Its a car, there disposable, yours is shot, dispose of it and buy another one for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than you could hope to fix that one. And remember, its not an investment, cars loose value to a point and then, well its worth what transportation is worth. If the wife wants a bit of a nicer car but still something cheap, find what you find and ask away before you buy. I'm pretty good with cars.

Cheers and best of luck
    B

4. hoytedow

Now that I know more about your situation I am for replacing the vehicle. It sounds not worth fixing.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

With you not there to do repairs, and with her paycheck being the only income, you need utter reliability. So I think your best course is to lease a small car, as you suggested.

My wife and I were faced with a similar situation years ago, and we leased a Geo Metro. Aside from being reliable, it was so much cheaper to run than the gas hog van it replaced that gas, insurance and monthly payments totaled less than we'd been spending just to keep gas in the van....

6. CatBuilder

Excellent! Replacing the engine is out! Thanks for the input.

Now, number crunching to find out if leasing new, taking over a lease, or buying used (but still reliable) and reselling when we are ready to get back to sea is the most cost effective option...

Wow, Troy. That's a good example. I can't imagine how expensive that van was to run.

It's looking like a lease, because as I look at purchasing say, an $8000 car, which is semi-reliable, the reselling it, the cost is about the same as leasing a very low end new car, or a better lease take over.

The thing that really affects this decision is the 24mos time frame. It seems to be cheaper to lease a car for 24 mos than to buy one.

7. hoytedow

I would buy rather than rent. You can always sell it later when you no longer need it. I think leasing is a rip-off.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

look for good resale value and straight panels, dents reduce the price a lot, so do faded plastics.

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Got an idea no matter how crazy it may seem, see if you can borrow a car. Or Carpool. However, I don't understand how you can build a boat without a pickup truck.

10. CatBuilder

That's because you didn't do the spreadsheet, Hoyt:

3 Yr Old Import Cost

Purchase $8,000.00
    Interest 2 yrs $640.00
    Maint Estimate** $1,500.00
    Brakes and Tires
    Registration $400.00

Resale $4,000.00

Total Cost $6,540.00

Total Cost Insurance Option $7,240.00

Take Over Lease Cost

Down Payment $0.00
    Monthly $5,112.00
    Insurance $800.00
    Maint Estimate**
    Brakes/Tires $1,000.00

Registration $500.00

Total $7,412.00

It's a (very) few dollars more, but you don't have to sell a car at the end and things like the timing belt blowing out are covered by warranty. Basically the same price, except less risk.

11. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Dump the old car.
    Buy a solid used with good resale like a Honda, drive it as long as you need it and sell it off when you launch.

The depreciation during use is just the cost of doing business.
    Either that or buy new and sell off later- same equation.

I bought up 100+ mile Japanese and volvo's for years- did my own work, cheap to buy and keep on the road, drive them till they drop. I don't think this an option for you so I would go for strong used or new and just accept the price difference over use as the cost.

You got it right on the used car market just now.
    Late year cars are EXPENSIVE.
    I was shopping for a Honda, the used market was withing a couple thou of new w/20k on the car and a couple of years old- crazy..... I bought new.

Cash is king- I got so pushed around by new and used dealers that by last one I was steaming when I got there.
    I offered 1k under dealer 'cost', forget the 4k of extras.

I wasn't going to hear one word of wheeling dealing. I told the guy I would be in my car in the parking lot and just come out and get me to sign the papers if he wanted to move the car at my price.
    Boy was I steamed...

12. CatBuilder

I would *love* to borrow a car... that would be ideal, even paying to borrow it.

You have to read though... go to the first page of this thread and read all of the posts I made. I laid out my situation pretty clearly as it pertains to boat building and how the car I need to buy is going to be used.

13. bntii

bntii Senior Member

It is not uncommon for cruisers to pick up an auction car to drive while in the States.
    Bit of cash should put you in wheels that will run for two years with no problem.

14. CatBuilder

Hmm... I didn't find that to be the case. $1K-$2K seemed to buy me smashed up cars or cars as old or older than the one that just blew the timing belt - 11 years old or more.

15. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I wouldn't spend more than $4000. I am cheap when comes to buying stuff your to just throwaway. Best bet is to buy a car from a little old lady. I have bought 2 Buick Lesaber with just 70k miles for under 4K. The cars were decent, but definitely not hot. The gas mileage was ok, for the distant traveled and cheaper than insuraning a more expensive car.