Capturing Wake Energy Without Drag ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Questor, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

You better get crackin' then and get that technology developed. You have my rapt attention. Can't wait for the video.:p

2. Questor

Questor Senior Member

There can be few tragedies greater than the academic imprisonment of a gifted mind. How many gifted minds end their existence in mental asylums and skid row alleys as a result of their inability to cope with the nonsense of higher education? How many gifted minds could have been saved and applied to real world problems and solutions if only they had been given hammers, chisels, metal and wood alongside of their slide rules and textbooks? Our academic institutions are filled with professors imprisoned by the medieval scientific and philosophical concepts they pass on to other victims. If every College and University student were compelled to spend just 3 hours weekly in shop as a condition of graduation , many would be spared from viral intellectual imprisonment. Nothing can exceed the capacity of hands on experience with wood, metal and mud to dispel the myths and legends of higher education.

3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I agree..I agree!. So stop wasting time typing and get on with a demonstration that will prove your concept works.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I believe that is hyperbole, he's just trying to make a point.

I believe he means that if you have a 10 hp motor wide open, maybe something like 6hp is wasted making waves and 4hp is moving the boat forward.

I believe you are on your own. Good luck.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

You are a kinder soul than I, SamSam.:D

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, there you go. He flat came out and said it. So much for trying to interpret him kindly....:rolleyes:

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ok, as someone who does hold a degree in Physics and has worked at NASA, I'll say this:

Maybe there is a little shred of truth in this idea. Of course, you aren't getting back any more than what was put into the water. You'll get back much less, in fact.

However, when a boat moves through the water, the vast majority of its propulsion energy is spent on hydrodynamic friction and generating wakes (if it's not a slow moving displacement hull).

What is possible from this guy's post is simply nothing more than a small scale version of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

You could set one up along a busy place like the ICW and catch power boat wakes and such (dozens an hour) to light a few light bulbs. (Most likely LED bulbs! ) :)

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Did you watch the doco or not? If you had you would have seen that most of these people claiming they have found perpetual motion DID NOT HAVE HIGHER EDUCATION. But the prob is the ALL FAILED. Your paragraph consists only of romantic philosophy to dodge any real technical concerns. Any person that has the resources to access "text books, slide rules and higher education" will have had even more chance to get "hammers, chisels, metal and wood" since these items are available to far more people than the former. It is because of this fact so many uneducated people have tried to build perpetual motion machines in the first place.

One simple question. Why has no one ever demonstrated perpetual motion when it has been a holy grail for so many uneducated people? I say uneducated, as an educated person would not pursue this hopeless cause.

9. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

10. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

pffft. A well-placed political contribution and I'm set. Might as well have some of Newton's other more pesky laws repealed while I'm at it. ;)

11. Questor

Questor Senior Member

Never be intimidated by the assertion of impossibility.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

DidnĀ“t I say lunatic right from the start?
    KistinieĀ“s little sister......

ey Questor,

you pee into the wrong pool here! Most of our experts are hands on people with a deep understanding of what they drivel about.

Of course as a aviation and oil spill engineer you are on a far higher level when it comes to lay hands on. But let me tell you:

hands on is not all! Try it with the other sex, can be fun too....:D

13. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Quoth Don Quix..er Questor. ;)

14. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

When I was a young lad, I jacked up the back of my '66 Mustang. Was only for the look, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover I had achieved a significant increase in the fuel economy. As a consequence of the car going downhill more than it had before, I ultimately deduced.

I decided right then that my future looked bright as an engineer.

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I'm working on perpetual BS

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.