Capturing Wake Energy Without Drag ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Questor, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I have found if you light a fire under water you can release all the free energy you want in the form of steam

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Again it isn't free because you must still purchase the fuel and possibly the water.

3. Questor

Questor Senior Member

Pantheists see sentience in all things, including the air between the fire hydrant and their own body.Pantheists have no need of religious structures because their temple surrounds them. Luckily for most Pantheists , they show discretion in their pursuit of enlightenment or they could get locked up.

I've heard some inter faculty squabbling before about who has the greatest claim of ownership to the word engineer. There are multiple dictionary definitions.Most of those definitions lean towards contrive, deceive, operate intuitive ability and build with a minor inclusion of designer concepts.I've surveyed public opinion on it and the most common response I got was that the word belonged primarily to operators of rail locomotives, followed by operators of steam equipment. Most people don't know why design professionals use it in their job descriptions. I gave the definition and history as taught within Power Engineering. I promise to look further into ingenium as a root word.

1 person likes this.
  4. apex1

apex1 Guest

nuts..

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ja, NĂ¼sse.

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

if you can harness the energy released by a careless remark dropped into a forum,
    well, now your talking

1 person likes this.
  7. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

15 pages of this nonsense - I think there is more than one nut in this bowl!!

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Like all forums everywhere,everything has been discussed,covered,and beaten to death: ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

On occasion someone posts pictures of their new build,a new product,or some cool old boat and it is interesting-but other than the new build these soon become quite dull.

Thats why there's such a great following (not myself though) of the climate change thread with 135,000k views,the jokes part has 165,000 views and the random pictures is 326,000 views....which I'd guess is more than most everything else on this site added up in the same time frame.

Whatever Questor spends his time posting,we all have to admit it's not dull and we all want to come here to see just WTH he's posted.

9. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Oh I didn't mean condescending (if it means what I think it means). I am totally guilty of wasting my time on silly threads too. It was just an observation.

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Didn't take it as such,not directed at you.

What about a giant putt putt motor?
    I've had a toy one since I was akid and it'll run for hours on a small candle...

11. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I had that attitude for a long time. My intellectual background is primarily in politics, religion, and other social realms that have a save the world flavor.I came to the realization that most debates and exchanges are mere recitals of memorized scripts. Nothing is ever accomplished , no one ever learns . In those realms it seems everyone is merely ranting with their ears plugged, with no real intent to apply themselves personally to the issues they are allegedly so dedicated to.

On one political forum I used to sometimes start three threads a night that could go to 40 pages in 48 hours. Then I came up with the idea that we should at least try to accomplish something tangible other than rant. After a bit of thought I decided to make it as nominal as possible. I suggested that with 100 people on a thread we should try to get 20 people to each donate $5.00 to a mutually agreed cause. At the end of the evening we would collectively donate $100.00 .There would be no verification that anyone actually made the donation. We would just take each other at their word that they would make the donation. Out of the roughly 400 people that regularly participated in the forums not one was willing to even suggest a cause let alone contribute to one. I nominated a few causes to try to get the ball rolling but no one responded. That pretty much ended my quest for social justice via the internet community. For a while longer I played the rant game with everyone else. With each new post there was an ever growing sense of futility. Finally I came to my senses and realized there would be more value in talking to the toilet bowl than attempting to accomplish or even discuss anything worthwhile on an internet political forum.

I came here with no social or political objectives. My only expectations were to get some guidance on a hybrid sport cruiser and play with the concept of obtaining more energy than drag from a boats wake. About 15 years ago I used to have a lot of fun with the topic. At that time a group of PhD plus physicists played with my wings riding on wake concept for fun and concluded that nominal net energy capture could be achieved at overwhelming cost vs value of return. I suppose nothing has changed much in natural law in the past 15 years.

So far it has been a lot of fun. I never realized what a narrow world I had entrapped myself in until I rehashed subjects I haven't thought about in 15 years. With a reborn sense of hunger and anticipation I am going to try to regain contact with physicists from the past that were interested in three dimensional time issues. My time here has not only been fun . It has been valuable as well.

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

wow .....

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was convinced that if he rigged his washing machine to spin counter clockwise to earth rotation he would travel back in time ....
    Lets just say the only way to convince him it didnt work was to let him try it out ...
    was lots of fun .... and we where 12 ....

So when is your prototype ?

13. wardd

wardd Senior Member

no, if you spin it counter clockwise you unwash your laundry

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I was unable to prove that theory as my friend was alone in the washing machine with his new swimming suit and no laundry ....

I guess another test is in order but with dirty laundry this time ... (doubt my 32 year old friend would care to re-visit his theory ...)

15. Questor

Questor Senior Member

Popular assumptions must be challenged, especially in science, because so many of the assumptions are products of popular theorists that have no evidence other than their popularity. Many ridiculous popular assumptions are considered to be common sense. When the owner of a rational mind defies the common sense that is built upon wishful thinking the owner of the rational mind is considered to be a nut case.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.