captured air bubble boat ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lobsterman, Mar 21, 2004.

1. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

hello,
    i was wondering if anyone has any info on boat design's that incorporate a captured air bubble(s) hull's or surface effect ship ?. i am a lobsterman who has come up with a radical hull design (only on paper) that is somewhat like a combination of a hovercraft and a power catamaran hull, but it dosn't require a skirt around the hull. a sort of super cavitating hull. i have gotten info that the Russian and USA navies had done research and built prototypes of similar types of craft but i obviously couldn't get much info from them. can anyone help me prove or disprove my hull design before i waste any more time thinking about it ? Thanks, Pat M.

2. Raykenn

Raykenn Member

Pat,

I know that in the 1950's (+/-) fishermen in the Louisiana bayous would put in a air scoop to introduce air beneath the bottoms of their flat bottom run-abouts. A 5-10 hp outboard would get a 16 - 18' plywood hull up to 15-20 mph.

Ray

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Pro Boat #48 had an article about 2 companies doing some development of SES hulls similar to what you described. Air Ride Craft and Harley Boat Corp. both of FL., I don’t know what has become of them.

Gary :D

4. Dingo

Dingo Junior Member

Our company designs Stolkrafts, which is an Australian design employing an air cushion whereby the air is fed from the front of the craft (ie. no fan to pump it up). It helps in slamming and is very sea-worthy. There are a couple of Stolkrafts in the Vancouver, Canada area.

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

boat design

Hello, i was just researching stolkraft design again, yes they have an innovative hull design,but it is different from my design, i was wondering are you are assosiated with Art Anderson .com ?, they have an interesting web site. thanks i appreciate your assistance.

p.s. thanks to everyone for your replies, every bit helps.

Pat M.

6. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

does anyone now of any good web sites on radical boat designs ?, i am still new to computers and i am trying to find out if my boat design has been built yet, any suggestions on where to possibly check are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pat

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  7. yipster

yipster designer

8. nevd

nevd Junior Member

Air cushioned ride

We have done development work and been granted patents on stepped hulls which trap air (WIG effect) and spray to improve ride and efficiency. The rear is also like a power cat or tunnel hull.

Regards,

nevd

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.