Seeking advice re: 27 - 33 foot offshore capabale sloops

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by easternjoe, Jun 14, 2005.

1. easternjoe

easternjoe New Member

Seeking advice on offshore capable sloops. Likely a heavier boat with reasonable draft - yet also capable of some speed. Designs that have an established record of Atlantic crossings would be of interest. Absolute price ceiling of US $50,000 probably limits me to lengths in the high 20's - low 30's.

Looking forward to your suggestions re: suitable models.

Thanks

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

You might find Tom McNaughton's comments on his Penny design interesting: http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/disc5_toc.htm

Among production and semi-production boats, I would look at boats by Pacific Seacraft, Bristol Channel Cutters, Morris, etc. Also the Vancouver 27, if you can find one. One of the classic designs is the Laurent Giles Virtue.

3. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

Southern Cross 31 or 35. They're cutters, not sloops, but they can go around the world just fine. I'm debating an abandoned mast-less SC31 nearby for my next boat....

4. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Those are all great boats, but you'll never get a Morris, BCC, or Pacific Seacraft for under $50k. $80k maybe... although right now there's a Mariah listed for $50k in San Diego.

Awhile back I came across this steel Lyle Hess design: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/1813 I have no idea if it's still for sale, or anything else about it. For some reason I thought it was interesting.

With luck you might find an eighties Cal 39, a seaworthy boat with lots of storage. I've seen a bunch of O'Day 37s listed at under $40k.

--

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Hobie 33, or buy our all-carbon 31 footer that's littering the shop, some assembly required.

Yoke.

6. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

7. mackid068

Or a Nauticat 321 pilothouse? It has a nice, big keel. But maybe custom is the best for you. Or, Etap Yachts. Anyway, key features are, personally, relatively long keel, solid construction.

8. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Or, if you want something larger, and can live with the extra weight, look into the J/35 or Express 37.

Yoke.

9. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

There one of these (or a near sister) for sale up the street. $250,000.

Rawson 30? Sea Sprinte 30? Baba 30? Cape Dory? Great Dane?

It's really mostly a matter of what is for sale in your area.

10. mackid068

Or we can take mighetto's advice and get a Mac 26 :D:D:D

11. olivettis

olivettis New Member

12. chandler

chandler Senior Member

If you don't mind wood, look in the "WoodenBoat" magazines classifieds. Often times there are some amazing deals.

13. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Don't ignore eBay either. Of course there's plenty of garbage (ie, FL hurricane leftovers), but there are plenty of good deals too. I see a lot of good deals in southern CA. Because slip rates are so high, boats get sold really cheap.

14. mackid068

What are the slip rates? $20/foot is HIGH, but how high are you talking?

15. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi Iam MarioCoccon my last post was in newport 27 rudder first page.I can talk about my Newport 27, its a 1971 that the first owner put more than 100 nautical miles on it. Most of them in offshore cruising. When he start fixing the boat for cruising everybody toll him you are out of your mine thats not a blue water boat bla bla. Why he prepare the newport because his so fast than a lot of racing boat his racer cruiser also and the most important thing his family from C&C yachts, that myself I need to tell that its a incredible boat. The newport is 5 of draft enought for cruising, flat deck good for walking and his haul is 3/4 of inch.Thats all you need performance forget about cruising in a snail of 3knots thats crazy and the other thin good construction. The 27 is a boat that you can put everything new with a reasonable amount of $$, maybe a big boat is more comfortable but how much you need to maintaince and pay in Marinas in the Caribbean. I invite you to enter to newport 27 site or search it and you gone to look a lot of information on the web for him. Dont spend all your capital in expensive boats with fancy names if you can do it for 1/3 of the price. Remember you can buy a Bristol or something like that but you need to put evrything new for cruising even the motor forget about rebuild motor. Take a 27 and with evrythin new maybe you finish spending 25 or 30 in a new boat not 60 to 80. Hear some points that the last owner do, he put double bulkhead and add more under V berth and in the transom, put a stringers under the bunks because the newport only have a long bilge but 2 1/2 inches of depth. He cut the mast from 37 to 34 and put a 180% Genoa with a little main that gave him a powerfull boat but very easy to reef in rought see, he put a Genset, AC, and a spare rudder on the boat. And the most important thing hand rails evry where with rainforced stantion. He add like 1800 pounds on it and the boat still cruising 5 to 7 knots. I hope that this information help you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.