Capsize preventer?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by valery gaulin, Sep 7, 2018.

1. valery gaulin

valery gaulin Senior Member

I am designing a shallow draft sailboat in the in the catboat ratio 26 foot LOA , 13 foot BOA, 2 foot draft centerboard up.

I am trying to see if anyone else used mast flotation to prevent going all the way around when capsizing? I know the Gougeon brother's did on their G32 catamaran but are there other designer that used this method? Also what would be the success rate of this method to prevent full capzize?

I was thinking of inflatable balloon that could be stored inside the mast. It could inflate automatically like a personal floation device.

Any thoughts is welcome.

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I know Hobie uses a mast float that also doubles as a wind direction instrument. Recovering from a capsize still requires some assistance to lift the mast upright. I have not seen any other catamarans that use the method demonstrated by the G32 though (mast tilt + mast float). It's innovative to be sure. In my opinion a mast float/balloon would suffice if you took the following approach on capsize recovery.

Here is a patented concept that uses a halyard to deploy the balloon.

US5255624A - Sailboat mast floatation device - Google Patents https://patents.google.com/patent/US5255624

Recovery scenario: Catamaran capsizes and balloon is deployed. Yet, you still need leverage to crank the hull over. Depending on how the boat is loaded and how the sails are placed you'll have a tough time getting it upright. Some considerations to finish the recovery:

- Another vessel assist on cranking it over with a line
    - If alone and in shallow water, center all sails and deploy an anchor. When it grabs and the wind blows it should (hopefully) crank you vertical.
    - If alone in deep water, consider deploying a portable water bucket to crank the vessel over. See approach below. I have not seen this done with a catamaran, but it's possible in my opinion with a large enough bucket that can be cranked on a main winch. When you're upright, release the drain valve on the bucket and you're on your way.

Good luck!

valery gaulin and Doug Lord like this.
  3. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

4. valery gaulin

valery gaulin Senior Member

JosephT likes this.

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

valery gaulin likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.