Cape 40 Alan Mummery design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by treeclimber@xtr, Mar 25, 2008.

1. treeclimber@xtr

treeclimber@xtr Junior Member

HI there Just wanted to introduce myself. The name is Alex and my wife and I have just bought a Cape 40' Alan Mummary designed cruising yacht hull steel. So the build has begun. I guess people will be hearing a lot of me over the next few years.:D

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

welcome, look at my gallery I built two Capes
    One CAPE PROVIDENCE
    the other Caper both in alloy I built Caper under lloyds, was smallest lloyds build in NZ
    I worked a lot with Mummery.
    I can intro you to owner the first, the second was my great friend, and he passed away last year
    you mean you just bought plans?
    If you get chance view Caper, she was so well thought out by a very experienced owner, who amogst other things used to be Navigator on Alaska Eagle, or Flyer as she once was(won Whitbread) Hollings was a real seaman, he took years to get Caper to a point where he said she was "finished"

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

cape 40 building

this is Cape Providence, she circumnavigated
    If you want I can give owners contacts

Attached Files:

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

We made a solid dodger, which was really worthwhile

Attached Files:

5. treeclimber@xtr

Wow thanks for the enthusiastic response. No I don't have any Plans. I bought a 40' foot hull from a marine storage yard. The owner paid $8000.00 for the hull apparently, and walked away after paying two months storage fees. The hull is built of 5mm corten steel. We believe it is corten because it has hardly rusted in that time (two years sitting out in the open). I have concluded the hull is a cape 40 design because it looks identical to one I found on the internet and it is the only 40 foot Mummery design I could find. I've decided to do a years research before I start so I would absolutely love to met the owner of one of these gorgeous boats. I plan to have her finished in five years. Then my wife and I are sailing out of NZ ye hah!!!!!!

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok Corten, you must use low hydrogen rods in weld, you can pm me Corten can not be worked without powerful wheels, so I am guessing Mcmullen and Wing built hull

7. treeclimber@xtr

I recently repaired a Hiab crane which are built in corten. Mig welding is low hydrogen I am to understand correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if I'll finish the boat in steel yet. I'm open to other options.

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

do you have hull and deck? if so you can make flange inside side deck build timber over it
    send me pm I will call by telephone

9. treeclimber@xtr

Sorry What is PM?

10. treeclimber@xtr

There is only the hull no deck yet. Timber sounds like a good idea I have a ready supply of Macrocarpa. I run an arboriculture business in Auckland.

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes, use steel side deck use mak house glassed over, I,m going to sleep, pm your tel number
    ciao

12. treeclimber@xtr

001164 9 8109667 call anytime after 5pm your time (are you in Australia?)

Thanks heaps

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok then she is amateur built , deck usually go on first to set up the boat across ways
    You could find it tricky to fair I may try get some sheer offsets for you and the deck crown heights, then I can show your how to loft the beams
    Call you tonight

14. treeclimber@xtr

Cool Cheers I'll email you some photos of the hull.

15. treeclimber@xtr

Well we got the hull home in one piece. The next thing I need to do is wak a shed over it. Following that I guess I need to track Alan Mummery down and get some plans. I'm not particularly keen to reinvent the wheel. I basically need to make my design choices over the next year and know ahead of time with regards to materials and hardware.
    Considering that the hull is open and without basically any inner components, after reading threads on steel hulls and wooden decks I think I'd prefer to finish the cabin and deck in steel thus going for strength and seaworthiness over speed. So many questions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.